Step into the weekend the right way — with these tough leather boots.
Are you laced up and ready to head into the weekend? I know I am — and if I had my way, I’d be wearing some of the best men’s leather boots as shown above: The Nick’s Boots MP-M1 Boots. They’re a perfectly rugged pair of leather boots to wear all weekend (and in my humble opinion, they’d do very well when worn to a favorite brewery or craft beer bar). If you end up picking up those stylish leather boots, let me know. In the meantime, we’re rolling into a busy February with today’s Friday Read. It was another edition of New York Fashion Week: Men’s here in the city this week, which led to quite the juggling act for me — hopping from my agency day job to runway shows by menswear luminaries like Todd Snyder, who showed a perfectly refined, throwback-inspired collection of beautifully tailored outerwear and trousers. It helps that he also served delicious craft beer from Brooklyn’s Threes Brewing at said runway show earlier this week!
The fun didn’t stop there, though — I found time to fit in another one of my passions, that passion being great live music. I swung through the recently revamped Webster Hall (a legendary venue in its own right) to see California rockers Cold War Kids, a personal favorite. I had previously seen them in Brooklyn (in 2018) and Nashville (back in 2017), and they always put on a blistering set. Standbys like “Hospital Beds” and “First” amped up the night, as did my favorite song by the So Cal rockers — the hard-charging, inspiring “Miracle Mile.” Tracks off the band’s most recent album, “New Age Norms 1,” featuring more soulful numbers and gospel-esque production, fit in surprisingly well throughout the night, too. All told, when you blend a night of great rock music with, say, a couple cans of cold PBR, it doesn’t get much better. That being said, I’m looking forward to a relaxing weekend in the borough, powered by plenty of coffee and some of my favorite vinyl records spinning. Check out our Friday Read below, then come by tomorrow for the Style Pick of the Week. Cheers!
- I mentioned above that we’d be talking about your new favorite sneakers — and indeed, that time has come. Nike recently released an upgraded take on its classic Air Force 1 silhouette, and the result is a pair of streamlined sneakers made with GORE-TEX for added winter durability. Read my latest at GearMoose for the full scoop. Wear them now with your favorite pair of jeans.
- Bear with me for just a moment here — there’s truly no reason you can’t wear your favorite summer watch in the winter. How does that work out? Well, I’m giving you the full rundown in my latest for The Manual (Hint: It’s all about texture and rugged style).
- Give the gift of rock n’roll this Valentine’s Day (or any time at all, really) with the latest from Happy Socks — the Happy Socks x Linda & Johnny Ramone Collection harnesses everything that’s cool about rock n’roll in one effective collection of stylish socks, and it celebrates their iconic relationship at the same time. You’re turning up the volume on your style quickly here.
- Let’s talk quickly about the best men’s grooming essentials, shall we? For the weekend and your work day, it’s *essential* you take care of business efficiently and effectively — and the Art of Sport Hustle Harder Kit (as covered by yours truly at GearMoose), makes it easy to get great grooming done in one handy package.
Before we officially head into the weekend, stick around to shop some of my favorite new menswear deals — everything from a slick leather moto jacket to a rugged flannel shirt is in the mix, as it should be this season. Have questions on what else you should be shopping or wearing? Let me know on Twitter. Enjoy the weekend!
A comfortable, soft flannel that’s brushed for comfort & ready to take on fall and winter.
Ahh, yes. Another Friday, another edition of The Friday Read … and another recommendation for the best fall menswear to buy now. Specifically, the handsome, versatile Proof Heatseeker Flannel— made from brushed polyester flannel for comfort and movement — is leading us off to start the weekend. In short, the Heatseeker Flannel will go anywhere you go, from the office to happy hour, and it’ll look great doing it. Now, onto the rest of today’s entry. Have you made sure to keep up with the blog as we get you fully prepped for this season? We’re looking at Thanksgiving just a few weeks away — dressing in style for the occasion is crucial, and we’ll have more content in that regard next week on the blog via our #OOTD series. In other matters: We debuted a new look on The Style Guide this week! What do you think of it? Feel free to let me know on Twitter. And elsewhere: I’m very, VERY excited to be heading back to my home state of Michigan this weekend for my kindergarten (yep!) best friend’s bachelor party! What’s on tap? Plenty of amazing Michigan craft beer, plus college football (Go Green!) and of course, the chance to break out some of my rugged fall gear as we spend the weekend at a log cabin retreat. To keep up with all the action, you know where to go — follow me on Instagram, and then be sure to join us again tomorrow for another edition of the Style Pick of the Week. OK, I’ve got a flight to catch — thanks for reading!
- We’ve been rolling through November for a while now, which means it’s time to turn our attention toward men’s health. Believe you me, it’s not too late to get into the spirit of Movember — my friend John Jones at The Manual dives into why, exactly, it’s worthwhile for us fellas.
- The chill of winter is going to be bearing down on us in short order, which is why I rounded up the best men’s parkas for GearMoose! There’s something for every price point and every style, without a doubt.
- In the way of other other men’s style essentials you need for fall, you can add stylish leather boots to your list — such as the Rhodes Dean Boots, a handsome and low-profile pair of sleek leather boots that I again covered for GearMoose. Lace up, then hit the road.
Still want something else to read? Check out thebest henley to buy for fall. Or, busy yourself reading about the all-weather boots you need in your closet (and on your feet). Still not ready to go back to work? Check out a recent edition of the Friday Read, covering the best leather boots and the best live music venues out there. They go hand-in-hand, right? OK, that’s all for now.
Step on up and dive right in to this week’s Friday Read, packed with men’s style essentials aplenty to start your weekend off right. I’m looking forward to another early “Summer Friday,” (a perk of working in the NYC PR world!). This weekend, I’m planning on visiting the iconic Grand Central Station, enjoying some local coffee and neighborhood strolls, and checking out the lauded Brooklyn Museum! It’ll be a relaxing and enjoyable summer weekend, to say the least. I truly can’t wait. The close of this week also means that we’re one week closer to Labor Day and the end of summer — how are you prepping for early fall? Might I suggest shopping some of my favorite menswear picks to make the transition? I hope that the below menswear reads are helpful to you as you shop, pack and plan. Without any further ado, here we go! Happy reading, happy shopping & wishing you a happy weekend.
- Some guys are watch guys, and some guys just … aren’t. At least, not in the traditional sense. If you find yourself in the market for a new, tech-forward timepiece, just about the best thing you could do would be to check out my feature on the best smartwatches for 2018 over on GearMoose.
- I’ll be sharing more thoughts on the best weekender bags in the season ahead, but for now, I’d say you’d do well to check out my latest piece for The Manual covering essential, stylish gear to pack up for your next trip out of town.
- Let’s talk dependable, everyday style — with just a bit of edge thrown in, that is. The Flint and Tinder Bone Button Western Shirt keeps popping up on the site for good reason. It’s made with quality cotton in a rich indigo color, and it features a reliable fit for layering over everything from a grey slub tee to a long-sleeve thermal shirt (come early fall, that is). That’s why I’d recommend you catch up with our See Now, Buy Now series, and make the Bone Button Shirt work for you.
- OK, switching tracks a bit here — I’m a huge fan of all things live music, from festivals to small Brooklyn club shows, so I found the big news out of the music industry this week both intriguing and alarming. That is to say, Paste Magazine and other outlets have reported that musicians received only 12 percent of the music industry’s $43 billion in revenue last year. YIKES. Give the article a read, and then buy a T-shirt the next time you see your favorite local indie artist, yes?
Can’t get enough menswear before the weekend? Shop these menswear must-haves before you go. Thanks for reading!
Folks, how was your Fourth of July?? I hope it was filled with plenty of fun, relaxation, some summer style essentials for the holiday … and, yes a cold brew and a tasty hot dog or burger (or two or three!) on the grill. I’ve actually been on vacation myself in the rolling countryside of Zeeland (Michigan!) these past few days celebrating the holiday with my whole family — my brother, his wife and four children, and my mom and dad. I truly can’t wait! It’s been a much-needed break from the hustle and bustle of NYC, but I’ve still found the time to unplug, kick back and dress in style (check out my Instagram for more there). I hope you have, too. On another note, we’re also going to ensure your weekend starts off the right way, including recommendations for grooming essentials and stylish new denim aplenty. What could be better? We’ll see you for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, and I’m wishing you a great weekend!
- Perhaps you, like me, are constantly in search of a grooming refresh. If that’s the case, I can’t recommend the work being done by Duke Cannon enough. I’ve had the chance over this past week to continue exploring the brand’s line, from the refreshing Solid Cologne to the sharp News Anchor Forming Cream, which helps me style my ‘do in new ways (I’ve recently been trying out what you might call a “hard side part”). I also love the lightweight finish and refreshing feel of the Standard Issue Face Lotion, along with the essential Best Damn Beard Oil. It’s really a comprehensive approach that’s super high-quality. If you follow me on Instagram, you can expect to see new content featuring their durable products very soon. Again, I’d wholeheartedly recommend the dependable quality and agreeable pricing that you’re getting with Duke Cannon.
Allow me to offer up another recommendation here when it comes to men’s style essentials — you can’t beat hard-working basics. Pieces that work every day and in every season. And you really can’t beat hard-working basics from a brand like Taylor Stitch
. I’m going to be testing out pieces like the Taylor Stitch Heavy Bag Tee
and the incredible-looking Taylor Stitch Slim Jeans in Cone Mills Standard
— you can expect lots more on those stellar, essential basics in the coming weeks here on The Style Guide and via my Instagram
- Now, we’ve talked before about how necessary and essential a pair of stylish light wash jeans can be, even in summer. With that in mind, here’s a refresher on my favorite light wash jeans for The Manual.
That’s going to close out today’s Friday Read, folks. I hope you all have a safe, fun and enjoyable holiday weekend! Cheers!
TGIF and congrats are in order, right? We made it — no, powered through — another week of #menswear here at The Style Guide. Have you been keeping up? I’ve enjoyed ramping up a recent new series on the blog, our ongoing See Now, Buy Now entries, which cover all sorts of men’s style essentials to see now and … buy now. Don’t forget to check out our fall style wish list, either — ’tis the season! Want to see something different on the blog in the way of content? Let me know in the comments or on Twitter and I’ll get right on it! In the meantime, it’ll be an exciting and busy Brooklyn weekeend — I’m hosting my mom, dad and sister for a weekend of stylish Brooklyn exploration!
We’ve got a Broadway show on tap, plus some stops at the New York Food and Wine Festival and likely a few pints at some of Brooklyn’s best craft beer spots (lookin’ at you, Other Half Brewing Company). Where will your weekend adventures take you? Be sure to dress in fall travel style, will ya? Have a great weekend!
- Have you caught one of the latest #OOTD write-ups here on the blog? We’re calling it out specifically today simply because it’s such a crucial — and fun — menswear move to make this season. Yes indeed, the right flannel shirt can work in casual style situations galore, from your next bonfire to a fall hike to dressing in style for a tailgate. Read the #OOTD to learn how to style the Filson Vintage Flannel Shirt, folks.
- If you, like me, often find you have trouble taking care of your keys, check out the Key Titan. I covered this everyday carry essential for GearMoose recently, and the Key Titan surely looks like it’d be an excellent way to stay organized (and y’know, avoid having to call a locksmith).
- We’ve talked a lot this season about essential fall gear, from a stylish indigo shirt jacket to a tough denim trucker jacket. You can add one more piece to your fall style wish list, though — the American Giant Mechanic’s Jacket is a heck of a well-crafted coat, and I covered it recently for The Manual. Shop away!
Alright, my friends. We’re all done for this week — unless you count tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, or Sunday’s See Now, Buy Now entry. So, plenty more rugged menswear for fall is on the way!
My friends, it’s another big Friday at The Style Guide — as seems to be the case lately. It’s been a busy fall of travel for your #menswear author and editor already, what with stylish trips to Portland and Nashville already in the books. And as luck would have it, I’m en route back from yet another #menswear and music-centric trip as we speak! Last night, I made the relatively quick hop up to Boston from NYC to see my favorite band, lauded indie rockers The National, kick off their fall U.S. tour! I took in a great, great show — nearly beyond words — and even grabbed a few craft beers at the excellent Tip Tap Room, too.
As if that wasn’t incredible enough, my trip back to Brooklyn comes just as the band arrives in New York City for an evening show at the elegant Forest Hills Stadium in Queens — where you’ll find me this evening! You can look for full details on both shows and the weekend itself in a #menswear post coming to the blog on Monday, and in the meantime, you can follow along on Instagram for up-to-the-song updates. Need something to read while you kick off your own weekend? We’ve got you covered below, and we’ve got you covered with your shopping, too. You can — and should — shop the best men’s jackets for fall, pick up stylish travel gear via the Bespoke Post Wander Box and perhaps add to your fall wardrobe with the stellar Flint and Tinder Flannel-Lined Waxed Trucker before the weekend kicks off. So, that’s taken care of — onto the reading picks below! Cheers and rock on.
- An easy-to-wear, easy-to-layer, rugged shirt jacket is a fall style essential — pair it with a slim striped henley and tan chinos, plus leather boots … or take it to the next level and slide it on underneath a field jacket. Those are just two of my suggestions, though — if it’s a stylish shirt jacket you seek, you’d best get started with my picks for the best men’s shirt jackets from GearMoose.
- I love the work being done on the sneaker front by CLAE — if you followed along with my fall trip to Nashville, you know that I brought the Gregory Mid with me, and you know that the brand blends the sporty and the classic with comfortable technology. Such is the case with the High and Lows x CLAE launch — the brand teamed with the lauded international retailer on a cool Chelsea boot revamp known as the Richards Zip Vibram Boot. Available in two color options, we’re talking water-resistant, sporty style and details like a heavy-duty pull tab for extra durability. Not a bad job at all by CLAE! (And to see how I style the rest of my sneaker collection — from CLAE and beyond — head to my Instagram).
Lastly, you can head back here tomorrow to check out the latest Style Pick of the Week — and on Sunday, we’ll get into an all-new See Now, Buy Now entry covering more rugged menswear for fall. It’ll be great, folks!
Thanks for reading,
Let’s turn the page on another week and hop right into the weekend here on The Style Guide. With another Friday Read comes another step closer toward fall. From football tailgates to breaking in new Chelsea boots all the way through to knocking back a rich IPA or an Oktoberfest beer at your local haunt, it’s a great time to prep for the season with perfectly rugged fall style. We’ve been talking a lot about those themes on the blog, from a new way to wear your denim jacket to the best men’s boots for fall, too.
If all of that #menswear doesn’t get you excited, I’m not sure what will! I know I’m excited to break out some new seasonal favorites — you can follow me on Instagram for more there. And in the meantime, you might want to tag along this coming weekend; I’ll be hitting the road in style once again, this time on a West Coast trip to lovely Portland! It’s coming on the heels of a big fall event at my day job, so the trip is perfectly timed for a little rest, relaxation, craft beer, fall menswear and of course, some live music. Who exactly is on the docket? Why, passionate, energetic and plain fun synth pop band Future Islands! Give their new album, “The Far Field,” a spin as you relax with your weekend coffee and a few prime pieces of men’s style news — which, as always, you can find below!
- As we talked about earlier, it’s the perfect season for a great pair of stylish leather boots — right? Right. And my picks for The Manual covering the best leather boots for men might just take the cake. At least, that’s what I think! Read up now, folks.
- Fancy getting out of the city on a hike? I know I could use a getaway every now and then — and if you’re more outdoors-minded than this city dweller, one of the best pairs of men’s hiking pants, as written about by yours truly, could very well be of interest. Get out there and get to it!
Alright, we’re keeping it short and sweet today — although if I had to make one last recommendation, it’d be to read this neat Esquire rundown of why you need a denim shirt in your fall men’s style rotation. Get it? Got it? Good.
Happy Friday and enjoy the weekend!