It’s the end of a long week — treat yourself to some whiskey, and to a new whiskey glass in the process
OK, my friends. If you’re in the same boat as me, perhaps you might enjoy a nice, neat pour of a premium spirit in one of the best whiskey glasses on the market to end your Friday. How about it? The good news is, you can pick up many more of those unique Whiskey Peaks glasses as shown above at Huckberry. Now, to the rest of today’s Friday Read. We’ve kept plenty busy here to close out November — I spent the Thanksgiving holiday with my family in warm, sunny and relaxing Florida, enjoying a Jai Alai IPA and watching lots of football (you might have picked up on that via my Instagram). At any rate, it was a much-needed, very refreshing break from writing a ton about, yes, winter style essentials aplenty. Like the outfit you need to wear to your favorite brewery this weekend. And the best flannel shirt to buy now. Again, the work never stops. However!
It’ll come to a brief respite this afternoon, as I head to the lovely town of Hudson, New York (you might remeber it from a previous upstate winter getaway) to support a great cause and see some amazing live music. Yes indeed, today is the start of the Rally in the Valley, a full weekend of education and activism supporting Planned Parenthood in upstate New York. Along with community workshops and panel discussions, it’s kicked off on Friday night with a concert by none other than indie rock luminaries The National — my heroes and my forever band! Guitarist Aaron Dessner lives not too far from Hudson, and I’ve been very lucky to see them play two album release shows last summer (at the incredible Basilica Hudson). This time around, I’m more excited than ever for an intimate show at Hudson Hall. It’s going to be an amazing night for an amazing cause — and the rest of the weekend shouldn’t disappoint! I plan to hit up MOTO Coffee for a cup or two (or more) of delicious coffee, and I’m also thrilled to stay at Rivertown Lodge, complete with idyllic accomodations aplenty (say that five times fasts). For now though, we’ve got more menswear and craft beer to discuss. Read on!
- We start this portion of today’s Friday Read by talking about a gift for her — your partner, your spouse or your girlfriend. And this gift comes from one of my favorite online retailers, Bespoke Post. They make all kinds of menswear essentials (and I know we all love a great Bespoke Post Box), but the recently lauched Soothe Box (it’s just $55!) is one-of-a-kind, and an ideal way to put some care & thought into the holiday season. From a lovely candle to a clay face mask to body scrub, these are the essentials she deserves — get your shopping done early.
- On the craft beer front, I was fortunate enough last week to try the excellent Spruce Tip IPA from Upslope Brewing. This Colorado-based, Certified B Corporation has put a little something extra into this beer — besides the hand-picked spruce tips, that is. They work with organizations like Leave No Trace to produce beer that’s environmentally friendly — and delicious, to boot. Heck, that’s not all: The Spruce Tip IPA is particularly great out of a can.
- Staying sharp while on the road has arguably never been more important than right now — that’s why I wrote about the best men’s winter travel essentials over at The Manual! It features some gear picks from brands you know and love, including the Proof Rover Pants, stylish Darn Tough socks and even a rugged Jack Mason watch. Can’t get any better than that.
Also in the way of holiday-centric upgrades, I wrote about all of the best men’s grooming gifts
for GearMoose. You know, the gifts to give, well, any guy on your list who could use better skin care. So, your dad, your brother, your father-in-law … you catch my drift.
That’s going to close out today’s Friday Read. Did you find what you were looking for? Maybe stay on the site if not — we’ll tell you all about the best menswear to buy on sale this weekend. We’ll also get you outfitted with the perfect oufit to wear for a night in, because even laidback nights deserve proper style. Again, hopefully, you find what you need. Stay tuned for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, and have a great weekend!
We’re rather quickly flying through January — tough to believe, right? This month has been packed with some stellar highlights in NYC and beyond, chief among them a weekend Philly trip to see The Killers. Hopefully, your year is off to just as action-packed of a start — what are your men’s style resolutions, and are you sticking to ’em so far? Feel free to let me know on Twitter. Hopefully, some of the advice on this blog has been helpful, including a new way to wear classic denim, shopping picks for stylish long-sleeve T-shirts and my latest weekly pick for a new flannel shirt to buy now. It’s the time of the season to upgrade your wardrobe, at least just a bit, and taking a good look at classic staples reimagined is as good a place to start as any. In the meantime, we’ll talk a bit about the world outside of menswear — including (gasp) a bit of music and a bit of T.V. time in today’s edition of The Friday Read. Read on, kick back and enjoy the weekend!
- Did you catch last week’s Style Pick? It’s got you covered when it comes time to pick up a stylish flannel shirt — specifically, Mizzen+Main definitely delivers the goods.
- On a music-related note, The Naked and Famous, one of my favorite bands, are back out on the scene again with new, stripped-down versions of some of their biggest hits, including the anthemic “Girls Like You.” Plug in now — what do you think?
- Admittedly, I don’t watch as much as TV as I should in terms of what’s new and now — but Quartz actually argues that there might be TOO much TV out there, by the numbers at least. Read up and let me know your thoughts!
- The new year — which is rapidly flying by — is all about getting into the spirit of change in matters of both style and lifestyle. With that being said, if you’ve resolved to hit the gym more, you still should keep your looks in mind. On that note, I rounded up the best men’s gym shorts over at GearMoose — go out there and get that PR now.
It’s time to call it a day (or at least, time to turn my attention to other pursuits before the weekend hits). Enjoy yours, come back for the Style Pick of the Week tomorrow and cheers!
Alright, we made it to Friday — raise a glass! Or crack open a cold one and kick back. It’s the welcome end to a long week here in NYC, one that caps off a busy five days of work following my latest Style Guide trip to celebrate a Florida Thanksgiving with my family! It was a long weekend complete with an amazing Thanksgiving meal, plus many helpings of leftovers in the days following. I even got some shopping done for Black Friday — you can check out my Instagram in the coming days for more in that regard. And why should you follow along on Instagram, exactly? Well, I’m heading back down to Florida this weekend to visit my sister for the 97x Next Big Thing music festival in lovely Tampa Bay! I’m excited to hit the road tonight to take in a great, great weekend of live music featuring some seriously fun, seriously powerful bands (many of whom I’ve had the chance to see in and around NYC as of late!).
That includes the festival’s two main headliners, The Lumineers and Paramore, along with other highly enjoyable groups like Canadian pop-rockers Arkells, New Jersey’s own Bleachers, the always-fun MisterWives out of NYC, groovy indie rockers Portugal. The Man and upbeat dance rockers Saint Motel! That’s just the tip of the iceberg, though. It promises to be a sunny, fun weekend in Florida — I couldn’t be more excited to once again break out some warm weather style essentials, just as in past road trips to Florida, and it’s certainly a treat to embark on another Style Guide road trip centered around stellar music. Now, I know we can’t all be so fortunate as to head to warm weather every weekend … if you’ll be battling chilly temperatures, I’d recommend a stylish pair of boots like the Nisolo Andres Boots,our most recent Style Pick of the Week here on the blog. And if holiday shopping is in the cards for you — as it should be — then you’d do well to check out this site’s picks as to the best gifts for men. But more on that very, very shortly. For now, you can join me on Instagram to follow along with all the fun this weekend, and you should stick around tomorrow to check out our next Style Pick of the Week. Alright, now it’s off to catch my flight!
- OK, folks — have we got a heck of a deal for you. Launching today (that’s December 1st), the good folks at Nisolo — of Andres Boot fame — are offering a men’s holiday gift bundle and an equally stellar women’s holiday gift bundle that you’re not going to want to miss. Now through December 24th, customers (that’d be you!) can spend $35 to get $250 worth of shopping credit at “bundle” brands — in short, we’re talking five brands and five gift cards good for $50 at each brand. What’s in store at each brand? Well, we’ve got rugged outdoor gear from United By Blue, beautiful bags from ONA, high-quality tailoring from Ledbury and stylish men’s boots from Nisolo, among other highlight in the men’s gift bundle. Seriously, what’s not to love about that? Again, you can get the men’s holiday gift bundle and the women’s holiday gift bundle (for yourself or someone else!) through December 24th.
- Wearing a casual T-shirt this holiday season doesn’t have to be sloppy. Over my Thanksgiving trip to Florida, I found myself reaching for a Barking Irons tee time and again, featuring soft fabric and a retro fit. If that sounds good to you, you might want to pick up the “War Is Over” Tee from Barking Irons, or one of the brand’s other sharp graphic tees. They’d make a great gift for the guy who appreciates standout casual style, too.
- Let’s talk a bit of grooming today on the blog, and specifically, how to keep your teeth in prime shape during the holiday season. Between red wine, chocolate, craft beer and more, keeping your teeth white can be a tall order. So, I’ve been testing out LusterPremiumWhite and the brand’s PowerWhite Deep Stain Eraser Flouride Toothpaste (courtesy of the brand) these past few weeks, and I truly can’t recommend the brand enough! It even helped me soar through my last dentist appointment with flying colors (well, sort of). Grab a tube now.
And with that, I say goodbye until … tomorrow!
Enjoy the weekend!
Hey there, folks — it’s Friday! And it’s time to wrap up the work week here and jet off into the weekend (preferably dressed in casual weekend style). The start of November means a few things, at least for me personally … namely, it’s a month that’s VERY closely associated with my favorite song by my favorite band (that’d be “Mr. November” by The National). Does that stellar song top my list of things to look forward to this month? Well, of course not … but it’s a fun one nonetheless. We’ve also got Thanksgiving on the horizon, along with Black Friday shopping aplenty; you can expect a full rundown of stylish men’s gear to buy for that occasion here in the next few weeks. For now though, I’m happy to be at home in Brooklyn this weekend. My fall travels have taken me out to Portland and south to Nashville, along with a quick Northeast jaunt to Boston to see, as luck would have it … The National! But my focus is solely on the homefront this weekend. I’m planning on swinging by my favorite menswear and coffee shop, Upstate Stock, to check out plenty of finely crafted #menswear, and I’m also hoping to make my way to a local sports bar to cheer on my beloved Michigan State Spartans as the battle the Penn State Nittany Lions in a college football showdown. What’s on your weekend agenda? Before you dive in, check out the below men’s style news for your reading pleasure. Cheers!
- Want a simply designed, yet simply unbeatable, windbreaker? The GoRuck Simple Windbreaker (would ya look at that!) is the one to buy now! Read more via my latest GearMoose post, and check out my own guide on how to wear a bomber jacket for more inspo.
- Make no mistake, I’m not necessarily a hiking enthusiast, per se — but I know great outdoor gear (and rugged style essentials) when I see it on the market. Interestingly enough, Gear Patrol makes the case that you shouldn’t buy new outdoor gear … how about that? What’s your take on that?
- Now, I sure do love me a stylish men’s henley — and if you happened to catch my feature for The Manual on the best men’s henleys, you know that all too well! Get yourself one before it’s too late, my friends.
Alright, my friends … that’s all the #menswear I’ve got for ya today!
Enjoy the weekend, and check back for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week!
Is it just me, or has it been a long week? For your Style Guide author at least, it took a bit to recover from a fun trip out West to the lovely city of Portland! That’s a long flight back to Brooklyn, but while in the City of Roses, I visited som excellent craft breweries, dined at a few great restaurants and took in a live show by the excellent synth pop band Future Islands! Again, you can read my trip recap and get some travel style tips of your own at that link. All very cool, exciting things to do on the road — and a nice way to cap off a month of travel, which also included a weekend trip to Nashville! Given all the hustle and bustle over these past few weeks, I’m definitely looking forward to a relaxing weekend exploring Brooklyn and of course, working on more #menswear content while listening to some excellent tunes and perhaps enjoying a refreshing cold brew. On that note, The Killers released a new album, “Wonderful Wonderful,” last week — despite some mixed reviews, it’s on track to be the band’s first No.1 album in the U.S. How about that? Maybe give that a listen as you dive into the below men’s style news? And most importantly, enjoy the weekend and check out tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week. Cheers!
- Let’s kick things off with news of an important giveaway — perhaps the most important giveaway you’ll enter all week! No, definitely the most important giveaway you’ll enter all week. GearMoose is giving you the chance to win a Taylor Stitch giveaway featuring pieces from the stellar Good Acre Collection. That includes a durable Chore Shirt or two, hard-wearing Chore Pants and plenty, plenty more — enter the Taylor Stitch giveaway at GearMoose and you’ll (hopefully) be rewarded! A heads-up — it runs for two weeks, so you’ve got plenty of time to again, enter this stellar Taylor Stitch giveaway.
- What’s more quintessentially American than the crewneck sweatshirt? With athletic roots and a heritage that’s decidedly not high-fashion, this staple has stuck around for decades — and the stylish crewneck sweatshirt is being brought back in all kinds of forms by designers and brands new and old. You probably even know some (including the Todd Snyder x Champion Classic Pocket Sweatshirt, yes?). That’s why it was such a treat to write about the best men’s crewneck sweaters for The Manual — shop away and enjoy!
- With roots in sporty and collegiate style — at least where I’m from in the Midwest — a stylish hooded sweatshirt can be tough to come by. But a hooded bomber jacket is an easy, grab-and-go piece that can actually look pretty smooth in more casual style situations — don’t take my word for it, though. Style Girlfriend tells you all about how to wear a hooded bomber the right way this season. It can indeed be done, friends!
- Let’s end on another music-related note. Here in Brooklyn earlier this week, I had the pleasure of seeing the fantastic, fun and bright British pop duo Oh Wonder. They dropped their second album, “Ultralife,” earlier this summer, as it were — it’s filled with vibrant hooks, beautiful singing by Josephine Vander Gucht and some great live tracks. It’s an unexpected second album from a duo that never intended to make an album in the first place, and this Toronto Star profile captures the innovative, fun spirit that went into this album (and a heck of a show at Brooklyn Steel!).
We’re going to get the weekend started a little early today, my friends — we’ve got the Michigan State-Iowa football game coming up tomorrow, and I’d wager that we’ve got some men’s style and craft beer adventures around Brooklyn on the way, too. Follow along on Instagram for more, check back tomorrow for a new Style Pick of the Week and make sure you see us on Sunday for another See Now, Buy Now entry — #SundayFunday style.
Thanks for reading!
The world keeps turning, the clock keeps ticking and so, we find ourselves again at the end of the week — and another fun-filled Friday Read, ehh? Have you covered all of your #menswear bases this summer? That is to say, have you picked up stylish leather high-top sneakers or added any items to your summer style wish list? We’ve still got another month of summer to come yet — and with that, a few upcoming highlights in this neck of woods. Coming on the heels of a busy New York Fashion Week: Men’s earlier this month, I’m excited to hop on the subway this weekend to the second rendition of one-of-a-kind NYC festival Panorama, as much a celebration of tech and art as it is excellent music from the likes of Solange, Frank Ocean, Mitski and Future Islands (among many others). I had an incredible Saturday at Panorama 2016 — dressed in prime music festival style, of course — and I’m very much looking forward to taking in two action-packed days this coming weekend, starting shortly today! As it were, you can look for a full post recapping how to dress for a music festival (and how to make the most of those craft beer tents — am I right?). At any rate, you can follow along in the meantime on Instagram and Twitter — and as scheduled, we’re coming at you with our regularly scheduled Style Pick of the Week tomorrow. It’s all in a day’s work here. Enjoy the weekend, and we’ll catch up tomorrow!
- There are underrated areas when it comes to men’s grooming essentials, and there are areas that tend to be overlooked altogether. One could argue that solid colognes get overlooked a bit, especially when so many brands offer up scented spray colognes. So with the aim of spreading knowledge — all in the name of #menswear, of course — I wrote about the best solid colognes for men for the fine folks at GearMoose. Read up and shop away!
- Your Style Guide team of one already filled you in on how to dress to head to the beach — but what about what to wear on a boat? I covered exactly that for The Manual recently — I sure do hope you find it helpful and informative! Like what you’ve read? Let me know on Twitter, ehh?
- As seems to be the case lately, let’s end this version of The Friday Read on a music-related note. As of earlier this month, the lovely ladies of California-based rock trio HAIM are back with a new album. Just as with “Days Are Gone,” the group’s 2013 debut, they’re very adept at making shiny, upbeat and yet well-crafted, emotional AND summer-friendly rock. I’d urge you to listen as you kick back with a refreshing summer beer — preferably wearing a pair of summer’s best sneakers?
We’re closing up shop early today — I’ve got some music to see!
Thanks, as always, for reading — stay stylish!
It’s another Friday here at The Style Guide, and a particularly momentous one at that. For one, we’re capping off another hectic, fast-paced and incredibly fun New York Fashion Week: Men’s, the twice-yearly event that allows America’s top menswear designers — Style Guide favorite Todd Snyder among them — to showcase next season’s wares. Held at a mix of intimate studios and the cavernous shipping center-turned-exhibition site Skylight Clarkson Square, it’s a great week to catch up with industry pals (like my pal Jamal of StyleSocietyGuy) while taking in the season’s coming trends. It’s, in short, an excellent reminder of why I love menswear — the diversity, the modern takes on classic styles and more importantly, the great peole who make it all happen. It’s often a whirlwind of a week — that’s why I’m excited for the coming weekend and the festivities to follow.
That’s because it’s not quite your ordinary weekend exploring Brooklyn (as much as I do love those!). No, I’m heading north this afternoon to the quaint upstate town of Hudson — I took a November trip upstate to Hudson just last year, and I thoroughly enjoyed the town’s focus on excellent gourmet food, arts and culture. My trip has a bit of a different purpose this time around, though. Famed indie rock heroes The National are hosting what should be a very special evening at former factory and current rustic performance space Basilica Hudson on the edge of town. It’s not quite your average concert, either. Dubbed “Guilty Party” — a direct play on the band’s latest single — the evening features a collaborative performance “in the round,” all taking place not far from where the band recorded said album. It promises to be an incredibly unique, heartfelt and meaningful evening — as any evening curated by your favorite band should be. So, that’s where Friday evening will find me.
And that’s not at all — in a crazy and quite busy turn of scheduling, Saturday brings the fun, quirky and eclectic New Belgium Tour de Fat to NYC. The craft beer festival and all-around extravaganza blends a circus-like atmosphere (think vaudeville performers and trick cycling races) with live music — as it were, an all-time favorite band, New Zealand indie rockers The Naked and Famous, are capping off the night. In short, it’ll be a jam-packed weekend to cap off a jam-packed week. But right now, I couldn’t be more excited. Before you start your own weekend of adventures, stick around a bit longer for our weekly #menswear news recap. Thanks, as always, for reading! Rock on!
- I’ll be the first to tell you I enjoy a nice, head-clearing jog through the quite streets of Midwood here in Brooklyn. It’s all the more helpful that the next time I pound the pavement, I’ll have a few ideas on how to do so in style — that’s because I covered the best men’s running shorts for GearMoose! Effective AND stylish, all at once.
- Amazon Prime Day — the famed shopping portal’s offering of a bunch of deals through its Prime membership service — flew by this week (Julu 12th, actually). Did you shop any deals? Let me know in terms comments!
And with that, my fellow Style Guide fans … I leave you to the weekend! Feel free to follow me on Instagram to check out Friday and Saturday’s music-filled fun, and be sure to join us tomorrow for our Style Pick of the Week.