Do you normally think about what watch you’re wearing as you start to put together an outfit? Sure, a great watch is up there on your list of men’s style essentials … but what about building an outfit around one watch? One truly unique, innovative watch, that is? It’s a different take on dressing for spring and summer, but I think it’s one you’ll grow to appreciate and enjoy. Accessories can often make all the difference in an outfit, from stylish sunglasses to the remarkable Grovemade Black Watch 01 we’re featuring today — if you read the blog regularly, you know the small details are surprisingly vital.
But why build an outfit around a watch? Well, it’s easy — the right watch can instantly elevate more casual or more subtle ensembles, and that’s especially true when it comes to the classic Oxford shirt and slim chinos shown below. The idea is that, whether you wear this #OOTD to the office on casual Friday or to a laidback weekend brunch, you’re going to stand out in the right way — not because you threw on a watch and called it a day, but because these picks are made to go just about anywhere in style. The even better thing about the Grovemade Black Watch 01 is that, like the brand’s other essential gear picks, it goes with just about anything — it’s truly timeless, so you can mix and match as you please with, say, a rugged denim shirt or a crisp white tee and classic light wash denim. For now, let’s show you this full look, shall we?
The watch makes this outfit, but the rest of it is subtly stylish and sharp, too.
The Watch: Grovemade Black Watch 01, $230 — If you’re building an #OOTD around your new favorite watch, you might as well ensure that watch is unique as heck and seriously high-quality, to boot. This Grovemade watch is all of that.
- The Classic Oxford: Flint and Tinder Garment-Dyed Oxford, $118 — Every guy needs an essential Oxford shirt, and this American-made version is subtly stylish — it won’t distract from your standout timepiece.
- The Chinos: Taylor Stitch Slim Chinos in Organic Olive, $98 — Sometimes, it’s best to keep things simple — a la classic olive chinos from Taylor Stitch. A perfect fit with this #OOTD.
- The Classic Chukka Boots: Esquivel Hand-Stained Leather Boots, $725 — Is it worth it to drop more than $700 on boots? Well, when they could be the last chukka boots you’ll ever buy — perfectly made, incredibly comfortable, highly versatile — then yes, that’s worth it.
- The Socks: Civic Merino Socks, $22.50 — Lightweight, comfortable, anti-microbial socks that offer plenty of all-day support? An essential in any outfit, but especially this one. They could be the best men’s socks you wear all spring and summer.
- The Daily Bag: Bleu De Chauffe Musette Gaston Bag, $229.98 — While the name might at first be a mouthful, you won’t regret picking up this handsome, tough everyday bag. Take it every possible place you can — it’ll serve you well.
- The Grooming Must-Have: Duke Cannon Emergency Heat + Light Soap, $34 — Duke Cannon assuredly makes all of the grooming essentials you didn’t know you needed, including this fresh, pine-scented brick of soap.
- The EDC Essential: Leatherman Wave Plus Multi-Tool, $100 — You might not need this handy Leatherman multi-tool every day, but if you work in a studio or design shop — or find yourself with a tricky-to-fix task on the go — keep this one on your person.
It can sound a bit off-the-wall at first to start thinking about a watch before you add in other pieces to an #OOTD, right? Ideally though, that approach is going to start making more sense after viewing the above picks — particularly the handsome, entirely unique Grovemade Black Watch 01, a timepiece unlike anything you’ve ever seen (before now, that is). How do the rest of these #menswear picks complement it? Pretty nicely, I’d say. Your best bet is going to be focusing on premium-yet-accessible versions of your favorite menswear staples — take an essential Oxford shirt, for instance, in a spring-friendly garment-dyed wash. It’s perfect to wear as you roll up your sleeves and get to work, and it pairs more than nicely with classic olive chinos from Taylor Stitch — not to mention a pair of simply astonishing Esquivel leather chukka boots.
Those three building blocks right there make this an office-ready outfit in my mind. When you incorporate a tough everyday bag, you’ve got your EDC essentials sorted, including a downright useful Leatherman multi-tool. But before you go anywhere, you need to smell great, simply put. Grooming essentials courtesy of Duke Cannon will sort you out there. And with all that being said, I think you’ve found a way to accessorize and build a highly stylish outfit around your favorite watch — to say the very least.
Would you wear the Grovemade Black Watch 01? How would you style it? Let me know on Twitter!