Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
Just as it seemed like summer was getting started (what with Memorial Day weekend and all), it now feels like it’s rushing past! Were you on the road for the Fourth of July this past weekend? I took it easy and stayed in NYC, which gave me the chance to visit some excellent menswear shops and check out the truly wild Coney Island hot-dog eating contest — click through this link to check out a rundown of Fourth of July weekend festivities. It was great to be able to take an extra day off and catch up with great friends in the sunny NYC weather, though. A short weekend brings us to the brink of perhaps the busiest week of the summer — the start of New York Fashion Week: Men’s, and a look at what’s on tap for Spring 2017 (truly!) from America’s top #menswear designers.
It was a treat to attend various events and shows last year, and I’m looking forward to it just as much this year — that goes for attending trade shows like Capsule and Liberty, which showcase plenty of emerging designers and some Style Guide favorites like Owen & Fred and The Hill-Side. Although high fashion runway shows can get confusing at times, trends seen there can be relatable and useful when showcased by a great designer like Todd Snyder, who always seems to churn out classic style staples with a rugged-refined edge. Given that focus, I’m very much looking forward to seeing what’s in store, and you can follow along with all the action on Twitter or Instagram. It all starts Sunday, so until then, I’ll be looking to get some rest and relaxation. Enjoy the weekend, and the Friday Read!
- Looking for a glasses upgrade? Worry not. Esquire.com takes you through five affordable glasses brands to know now — like, right now.
- Just in case you were in need of a new pair of denim (and really, who isn’t these days?), I’d strongly advise you check out my latest feature on The Manual, covering new Italian-made denim from Mott & Bow — oh, and check back here tomorrow for more on that front.
- Style Note of the Week: Here at the good ol’ Style Guide, we love a stylish watch. If that fits the bill for you as well, check out a recently launched Kickstarter from Jacopo Dondi, a brand who’s giving traditional watches a run for their money — why’s that? The brand is launching a sharp-looking watch with a 24-hour dial, meant to guide you through your day in a stylish, functional manner. Give it a look if you’re in the market for a new watch (and note that it’s about 50 percent funded already.
In need of more men’s style content?
- It’s been a busy week of writing for yours truly at The Manual — and if your busy week included a hunt for a new T-shirt, look no further than a piece I wrote covering stylish summer T-shirts from Buck Mason.
- Lastly, I rounded up even more excellent summer T-shirts for GearMoose — all of them are worth a look if you want a tee fit for layering or wearing on its own.