OK, Style Guide readers — how was everyone’s Fourth of July? Productive? Relaxing? Ideally filled with quite a few of the best summer beers? I sure hope that was the case. I spent mine relaxing in Brooklyn, hitting up some of favorite coffee and craft beer spots, and putting in some light work on The Style Guide (hey, gotta hustle). At any rate, it’s been a quick, shortened week, what with the holiday falling on a Tuesday. But lest you think nothing’s gone down lately in the #menswear world … think again.
We’ve got plenty of ground to cover before we roll into the weekend. If summer shopping remains a priority for you, I’d urge you (strongly!) to look for affordable men’s style essentials and pick up one of the best men’s polos to buy now. I’d also urge you to pair said polo with some stylish shorts for the season — two foolproof moves that work for your next summer BBQ, your next beach trip or a casual stroll in your favorite park. Before you spend all your budget in one place, though … take a look at a few prime men’s style news items below, will ya? And with that, it’s nearly time to kick back for Friday happy hour — isn’t it? Follow along with me through the weekend on Instagram, and thanks for reading!
- Among other #menswear writing pursuits, I’ve been doing some work for The Menlo House, the blogging arm of personalized style service and E-commerce shop FiveFour Club. As with so many men’s fashion matters, the devil is in the details — so my latest post covers how to upgrade your everyday carry in style. It’s as easy as that!
- Looking for a minimal, sharply designed pair of shorts that function in more situations than you can count? That’s what SPUDS is aiming to produce — the brand says that its shorts (launching on Kickstarter on July 11th!) are meant to “redefine men’s activewear,” what with a blend of performance fabric and easily wearable colors. Learn more here, and look out for that launch next week.
- While we’re on the subject of upgrading your everyday carry, I reckon that myself and the GearMoose team might have found the stylish wallet to buy now. It’s the Hitch & Timber Flat Jacket Wallet, and it’s a handcrafted, rugged beauty of a piece. Go get that wallet now!
- In other everyday style tips, Esquire.com has a simple — yet quite important — missive for you to follow. Namely, the site’s fine style team wants you to, quite simply, stop buttoning the bottom button of your suit jacket. That’s it! That’s all!
- Let’s close this week out with some stellar new music — agreed? If you haven’t caught on by now, Brooklyn-bred indie rock heroes The National are masters at crafting subtle, simple and yet detailed and complex songs. The band’s latest release, “Guilty Party,” is a multi-layered, multi-faceted song about love and loss — in short, it’s beautiful and it’s been on repeat here at The Style Guide HQ. Listen away!
Those quick-hit menswear and music items will wrap up today’s Friday Read. I think we’re on track for a great weekend, yes? Let me know on Twitter if you’ll be doing any shopping for summer style essentials, or if you’ve got any style-minded questions. With all that being said, I’ve got a happy hour to look forward to later — cheers and enjoy the weekend!