OK, Style Guide readers — how was everyone’s Fourth of July? Productive? Relaxing? Ideally filled with quite a few of the best summer beers? I sure hope that was the case. I spent mine relaxing in Brooklyn, hitting up some of favorite coffee and craft beer spots, and putting in some light work on The Style Guide (hey, gotta hustle). At any rate, it’s been a quick, shortened week, what with the holiday falling on a Tuesday. But lest you think nothing’s gone down lately in the #menswear world … think again.
We’ve got plenty of ground to cover before we roll into the weekend. If summer shopping remains a priority for you, I’d urge you (strongly!) to look for affordable men’s style essentials and pick up one of the best men’s polos to buy now. I’d also urge you to pair said polo with some stylish shorts for the season — two foolproof moves that work for your next summer BBQ, your next beach trip or a casual stroll in your favorite park. Before you spend all your budget in one place, though … take a look at a few prime men’s style news items below, will ya? And with that, it’s nearly time to kick back for Friday happy hour — isn’t it? Follow along with me through the weekend on Instagram, and thanks for reading!
- Among other #menswear writing pursuits, I’ve been doing some work for The Menlo House, the blogging arm of personalized style service and E-commerce shop FiveFour Club. As with so many men’s fashion matters, the devil is in the details — so my latest post covers how to upgrade your everyday carry in style. It’s as easy as that!
- Looking for a minimal, sharply designed pair of shorts that function in more situations than you can count? That’s what SPUDS is aiming to produce — the brand says that its shorts (launching on Kickstarter on July 11th!) are meant to “redefine men’s activewear,” what with a blend of performance fabric and easily wearable colors. Learn more here, and look out for that launch next week.
- While we’re on the subject of upgrading your everyday carry, I reckon that myself and the GearMoose team might have found the stylish wallet to buy now. It’s the Hitch & Timber Flat Jacket Wallet, and it’s a handcrafted, rugged beauty of a piece. Go get that wallet now!
- In other everyday style tips, Esquire.com has a simple — yet quite important — missive for you to follow. Namely, the site’s fine style team wants you to, quite simply, stop buttoning the bottom button of your suit jacket. That’s it! That’s all!
- Let’s close this week out with some stellar new music — agreed? If you haven’t caught on by now, Brooklyn-bred indie rock heroes The National are masters at crafting subtle, simple and yet detailed and complex songs. The band’s latest release, “Guilty Party,” is a multi-layered, multi-faceted song about love and loss — in short, it’s beautiful and it’s been on repeat here at The Style Guide HQ. Listen away!
Those quick-hit menswear and music items will wrap up today’s Friday Read. I think we’re on track for a great weekend, yes? Let me know on Twitter if you’ll be doing any shopping for summer style essentials, or if you’ve got any style-minded questions. With all that being said, I’ve got a happy hour to look forward to later — cheers and enjoy the weekend!
Hey there, folks — it’s time to wrap up the week once more and jump right into The Friday Read on this fine Brooklyn day. How was your week? Tough to believe that we’ve rolled past Mother’s Day and we’ve now got Father’s Day on our radar in terms of shopping (that is, in addition to the other #menswear shopping recommendations we’ve made on this site). Time’s positively been flying by, especially considering that I traveled to Indiana in style last weekend to catch up with old college friends, try out some craft brews at Goshen Brewing Company and take in the quiet tranquility of the Midwest — if you follow me on Instagram though, you know all about that trip. And back in NYC, we’ve been busy on the blogging and writing front — you’ll see a few handy spring travel tips and more men’s style news to know below.
Of course, I’m particularly excited about what’s to come in the days ahead. Specifically, I’m looking forward to exploring the lovely borough of Queens today in advance of what should be an incredible show from acclaimed British electro-pop band The xx. The band really defies any categorization though, and the group’s new third album — “I See You”— features some of the strongest musical work of 2017, hands down. Yes indeed, it should be a magical evening at Forest Hills Stadium in Queens. What are your weekend plans? Standby for tomorrow’s new Style Pick of the Week, as it were — and feel free to join the conversation on Twitter if you’ve got a style query I can answer. Hopefully, I can help — let’s start with these items below, shall we?
- Who doesn’t love a simple-yet-stylish spring and summer T-shirt? Better yet, how about one that supports a great cause? That’s exactly what Waves for Water is doing with its Artists for Water series, which applies the brand’s trademark focus to upgrading something we all know and love — The T-shirt. That means these T-shirts feature one-of-a-kind artwork from designers and artists alike, including Shawn Stussy (yes, the Shawn Stussy) and Nautas Kapas, the famed skateboarder, designer and now creative director at Birdwell Beach Britches. What does this mean for you, stylish reader? It means that now through July 3rd, you can keep your eyes peeled on the site for new weekly T-shirt launches.
- OK, so how about upgrading your leather watch? If you happen to be in NYC, or visiting, you should absolutely check out the new Shinola Brooklyn store. They absolutely make some of the best men’s leather watches out there, and it was a treat to catch up with Shinola Creative Director Daniel Caudill for The Manual in advance of the opening, and I’d daresay you’ll be more than pleased with the brand’s handsome accessories and home goods.
- The summer is no time to let your outerwear game slip, especially on breezy nights — I’d suggest you pick up the Goldwin Packable Windbreaker, one of my recent entries for GearMoose, and let me know where you’re headed.
- Now, let’s talk music. If you missed it last Saturday, you can — and should — watch the lovely ladies of California rock trio HAIM play two new songs on Saturday Night Live! Who else is excited for the group’s new album this July? I sure am.
Last, but certainly not least ….
- While we’re taking new music, it was with joy and surprise that I first listened to the new single by The National last week. If you haven’t heard the latest from the indie rock heroes, listen to “The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness” as soon as you can. Trust me.
OK, loyal Style Guide readers. That’s it — that’s all we’ve got! Unless, of course, you haven’t listened to that new single by The National. You should do that, ASAP.
Now, we’re ready for the weekend — stay stylish!