You’ll know it when you see it — the arrival of this year’s polar vortex. Inevitably, and especially if you live in a place like NYC, it’ll catch you at the worst possible time. So, how to dress for the polar vortex this year? Stylishly and with functionality in mind, of course. That’s where today’s #OOTD takes us, so put on your rugged Danner boots and get ready. We’re kicking things off with a tough winter parka, and it only gets better from there (good news, the parka comes from Flint and Tinder). From there, it’s pretty critical that you throw on a rugged sweater for warmth, along with an office-ready flannel shirt from the good folks at Faherty Brand. But, today’s #OOTD is wearable for the office, you say? Of course — there’s work to be done, even during the polar vortex. That’s why we’re also recommending a rugged, casual watch and some surprisingly tailored chore pants. The point is, again, you need to dress for anything and everything, and I think this rugged-yet-reliable #OOTD is the way to go. What say you? Find out the rest of today’s gear picks for yourself below — stay warm!
- The Jacket: Flint and Tinder Waxed Ridge Parka, $398 — The good folks at Flint and Tinder never fail to come through with amazing men’s style essentials, like this tough winter parka. Your new favorite winter jacket? Possibly.
- The Rugged Sweater: Peregrine Waffle Crew Neck Jumper, $140 — You know those mornings when it’s too cold to go outside or do much of anything? This insanely warm winter sweater changes all that.
- The Classic Shirt: Faherty Brand Brushed Apline Flannel Shirt, $148 — And the proper shirt to pair with that winter sweater? A classic flannel shirt from Faherty Brand, of course.
- The Boots: Danner Raptor Boots, $240 — I really do love the boots churned out by Danner season after season — personally, the Raptor Boots have proven exceedinly comfortable, and pretty darn tough on top of that. Perfect for the polar vortex.
- The Pants: Flint and Tinder Mill Pants, $98 — The polar vortex demands that you dress accordingly — hence, these tough chore pants to stomp through snow.
- The Must-Have Weekender: Buffalo Jackson Dakota Weekender, $294.98 — Heading somewhere in spite of the snow? Just trying to haul your gear to your cabin or to your next job? This rugged weekender bag is perhaps the best new bag to buy now.
- The Socks: Anonymousism MOC Pile Crew Socks, $22.50 — We talked about the boots to buy for this #OOTD, now let’s talk about the stylish socks you need on your feet. Anonymousism makes each pair with form and function in mind.
- The Watch: Huckberry x Lum-Tec Combat B-42 Watch, $499 — Although you’re dealing with a blizzard, that’s no time to let your accessories slip. This rugged, casual watch is an excellent option for winter.
- The Tough Leather Gloves: Give’r 4-Season Waxed Gloves, $114 — Again, your accessories need to stay on point and carry you through the storm in style — these are an essential pair of winter gloves, no questions asked.
- The Everyday Carry Essential: Taylor Stitch Drop Point Knife, $68 — In the spirit of getting the job done, you might find this Taylor Stitch Drop Point Knife handy if you’re tackling chores or projects outside.
Now, the polar vortex might seem tricky in matters of both style and survival — but it’s all about outfitting yourself accordingly. In my mind, that starts with new favorite winter jacket from Flint and Tinder. I’d say it’s one of the best men’s winter jackets out there, and it only gets better when you layer it over a classic flannel shirt from Faherty Brand, along with that insanely warm winter sweater we discussed earlier. The rest of your gear is truly on-point, too. Take those tough chore pants and the Danner Raptor Boots — there’s nearly no stopping you now. But wait, there’s more! Throw in a rugged, casual watch, grab an essential pair of winter gloves, then top it off by packing up a rugged weekender bag for whatever the day throws your way. Lest we forget, the Taylor Stitch Drop Point Knife is a handy everyday carry essential, and stylish socks are always a must-have. Now all you need is a roaring fire and a glass of whiskey — right? Right. Good luck out there, stay warm & stay stylish!