If you’re wondering why we’re here in today’s Friday Read at my daily menswear blog talking about the Kentucky Derby, well, keep on scrolling and welcome to the ride, my friends. Now, if you follow me on Instagram, you assuredly know it’s been quite the ride these past few weeks.
I took a quick hiatus from last week’s regular Friday Read, and from my daily writing duties at sites like Maxim, to head out to Las Vegas with the TAO Hospitality Group to review the stunning new TAO Dayclub — I previously visited the incredibly cool TAO Mohegan Sun property for Maxim, and this was another stellar trip opportunity! That brings me, of course, to the Kentucky Derby — quite literally, in fact. I’ll be onsite for a lifetime chance to check out the iconic Run for the Roses, and I’ll be there as part of my “day job,” believe it or not. Woodford Reserve might be the official Bourbon of the Kentucky Derby, but I’m attending to taste and visit HIRSCH Whiskey in Bardstown, Kentucky — along with Derby Day festivities, of course!
Naturally, you can get a taste of HIRSCH Whiskey sent to your door in the meantime via Drizly if you’d like to try out yet another Derby Day Whiskey, but in the meantime, I’ll have more insight for Maxim next week. All of which leads me into the rest of today’s Friday Read for your weekend perusal and shopping enjoyment. I’ll be suited up on Saturday, so be sure to follow along with my Instagram. Cheers!
- Now, Taylor Stitch menswear might not be the first thing on your mind as seersucker suits and the like take center stage this coming weekend. That being said, here’s your weekly (if not daily!) reminder to check out what the brand is doing, from substantial yet soft T-shirts to sturdy denim jackets and some of the coolest accessories you can shake a stick at — go give Taylor Stitch another look if you need a spring or summer refresh.
- Another area in which to focus on a spring or summer refresh? Your basics rotation, hence why I wrote all about the best men’s henleys over at SPY.com, featuring favorites from Buck Mason and many more. It’s a list of the best of the best, in my humble opinion, and I recommend you hop to it to add a new short-sleeve henley or three into your life.
- Here’s another style pick on a budget to get you thinking spring and summer upgrades. Over on the blog just earlier this week, I told you all about a great way to save on sneakers from Bespoke Post. The magic — and the deal — can be found within that post. Let’s get right to it and add to cart, my friends.
That’s going to wrap up today’s Friday Read, all in the name of enjoying the one and only Kentucky Derby — and of course, some finely crafted HIRSCH Whiskey. I can think of no better way to enjoy the weekend. We’ll see you out there and online, my friends!
Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
Hello there, Style Guide readers! Welcome to another edition of the Friday Read, where (if you’re not familiar), we’re recapping the week in #menswear. And if you’ve come through these parts before, welcome back. How was your week? It’s turning out to be a mighty packed one, what with Cinco de Mayo yesterday, the Kentucky Derby following on Saturday and of course, Mother’s Day on Sunday. If you’re scrambling to find a gift, check out this site’s rundown of the best gifts for Mother’s Day. Trust us, we’ll get you sorted. Hopefully, you’ll have the chance to rest, relax and spend some quality time with family this weekend — whether it’s watching the Derby or doing some traveling to see friends. On that note, check back here Monday for a full post covering a trip I’m taking to Washington, D.C. to see my good friend, former college roommate and current political journo Ian Kullgren. If you have any suggestions for fun things to do in the area, let me know on Twitter! And if you want to follow along with my travels, add me on Instagram or… better yet, follow me on Snapchat @beau_hayhoe. I’m still getting the hang of that thing, but I think I’ve got a good handle on what’s going in this week’s Friday Read — enjoy the weekend and read on!
- Enjoying a nice beverage during the Kentucky Derby? Here’s exactly how to make a mint julep, the official drink of the Derby. If you’re more partial to other cocktails, here’s a look at this site’s cocktail guide for the 2016 Masters.
Note that we’ll have our own Style Guide sunglasses picks coming up here shortly, but in the meantime, the Wall Street Journal recommends the following men’s sunglasses picks for summer
- Again, this piece isn’t directly style-related, but it ties into something this menswear writer knows and loves –a great beer! Men’s Journal covers the 25 best American IPAs (and boy, is the list something else!)
- Style Note of the Week: This isn’t a full-on menswear story by any means, but rather a recommendation that’s given me some great visual inspiration — if you don’t follow the fantastic Christian Watson on Instagram, it’d be wise to start! He shares some inspiring shots of his travels, his daily adventures and his incredible eye for a great photo. Worth a look to start your weekend, ehh?
Want some more great men’s style content? Here we are!
- If you read this site, you know I’m a huge fan of the versatility and tough styling potential of a rugged henley — so of course, I wrote about the 10 best henleys for men over at GearMoose! I think you’ll recognize some Style Guide favorites in there.
Thanks as always, for reading!