To me, it feels like we were just lacing up our rugged leather boots and gearing up for fall & winter, and yet, just as with the shifting tides of the ocean, the menswear world rolls on … and so here we are, talking new spring style essentials. The world is going pretty haywire right now, so all of these picks might not work right now as originally intended — but who said you don’t need great style at home? And who said you don’t need to gear up to get things done outside, too? More specifically, today’s look still provides a timely answer to that age-old question: “What do I wear this spring?” — and to be even more specific, what do I wear on a breezy spring day? The type of day that might unexpectedly bring rain & wind, yet you’ve still got to get out there? Today’s #OOTD steps right up and answers that question decisively, from the stylish rain jacket (via J. Crew) to the classic Blundstone boots that’ll help you navigate slick city streets and wet country roads in equal measure. The fact that the outfit ties in reliable standby pieces like a classic overshirt is a big positive, but rest assured, this is an outfit that’s still got some office-ready polish — that’s all owing to touches like versatile everyday pants from Western Rise, plus a classic everyday watch. We’re not abandoning layering in favor of full-on summer style just yet though, so a luxurious T-shirt is your critical base layer here (more on that in a moment). The key when it comes to dealing with spring weather? Being ready for anything, from unexpected rain to high winds to a late night FaceTime happy hour with friends, and so on. Today’s #OOTD will get you there, mark my words. If you like what you see, be sure to hit me up on Twitter to let me know. Thanks for reading!
Layers to help you fight spring rain, plus stylish accessories.
- The Rain Jacket: J. Crew Brunswick Rain Jacket, $148 — J. Crew continues to expand its repetoire in new and pleasing ways, such as this ultra-stylish and functional rain jacket — quite possibly the perfect piece of spring outerwear.
- The Rugged Overshirt: Flint and Tinder Chamois Overshirt, $138 — There’s a chance that breezy spring weather could get ever-so-slightly chillier than expected, and that’s where one of the best men’s overshirts from Flint and Tinder comes into play.
- The Refined Tee: General Issue Short-Sleeve Tee, $85 — General Issue launched last year with a focus on making refined men’s basics, such as this expertly cut T-shirt — it’s ready to be layered with ease on a breezy spring day under your rugged overshirt, and it also looks great the rest of the time on its own.
- The Pants: Western Rise Diversion Pants, $138 — For getting around in style this spring, reach for these new, versatile everyday pants from Western Rise — they’re abrasion-resistant and feature four-way stretch, so in short, they’re the perfect pants for your next spring adventure.
- The Boots: Blundstone Original 550 Boots, $195 — Rain-ready, rugged and durable, the Blundstone Original 550 Boots are some of the best boots for spring (and well beyond) — regardless of how much it actually rains.
- The Watch: Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 68, $1,395 — The demands of spring weather call for a tough everyday watch — and yes, the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 68, while quite pricey (to say the least) is one of the best new watches to buy right now.
- The Everyday Carry: Billykirk x Flint and Tinder Standard Issue Tote, $165 — No matter where you’re heading this spring, a rugged tote bag is the perfect everyday carry addition — and it helps that this stylish tote is from Billykirk & Flint and Tinder.
- The Grooming Essential: Doji Natural Deodrant Spray, $10 — Keep your grooming on-point this season with a handy natural deodorant spray that just so happens to be very affordably priced.
Dealing with spring rain and breezy weather comes down to more than just throwing on a rain jacket and calling it a day — in the case of this ensemble, layers are ever-more critical with each passing day (and each passing storm, for that matter). Kicking things off with the excellent, highly functional J. Crew Brunswick Jacket is assuredly a smart move, as is adding one of the best men’s overshirts from Flint and Tinder — and to top it off, a premium T-shirt from General Issue adds both visual interest and comfort on a chilly spring day. When spring weather starts up though, anything can happen, so you assuredly need some of the best boots for spring — Blundstone has you taken care of. Those boots, while a bit bulky, are still able to readily pair with your versatile everyday pants from Western Rise — that combination should offer ease of movement and plenty of style (heck, I’ve tried out the Western Rise Diversion Pants and am a big fan of them). Now, it wouldn’t be a complete outfit with a durable, classic watch like the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 68, would it? You’re investing in that timepiece, to be sure, but you’ll have it for years and years to come. And no matter what you’ve got to haul around — be it gear for work or your favorite book — a rugged tote bag will keep your everyday carry in fine form. And last but not least, stay fresh with a natural deodorant spray that’s quite easy to use. Does that about cover everything when it comes to versatile spring style? Why yes, yes I think it does.
Trust me — this might be the coolest shirt you can get your hands on.
Sorting through the best shirts for men — or really, any retailer’s shirting offerings — is sometimes quite the taxing exercise. Where to begin if you want a shirt that’s unique yet subtly stylish, and also not too wild? The Howler Brothers Gaucho Snapshirt could be the way to go (at least, your friendly neighborhood style writer thinks so). It’s potentially one of the best men’s shirts for spring and summer, and it starts with the fact that it’s got a design unlike any other on the market (check out the front chest pocket designs). Howler Brothers takes great care in making gear that’s technical while blending the modern and the retro (take the Merlin Jacket as seen in this post on how to wear a denim shirt). Thankfully, the Howler Brothers Gaucho Snapshirt embraces those same qualities quite handsomely, featuring UPF15 sun protection baked right into the shirt — that’s not to mention the style points it’s got going for it.
The Howler Brothers Gaucho Snapshirt just keeps winning in matters of functionality, too — it’s made with quick-drying fabric for breathability and ease of movement all day. To me, that means you can pair up the Howler Brothers Gaucho Snapshirt with slim light wash denim and your favorite chukka boots for a casual day of patio beers, or you can wear it with a stylish vest and tough field pants (plus the Huckberry Duck Boots) for a spring day hike.
A closer look at the details that make this shirt so essential.
Of course, I’d also recommend you wear that same outfit for post-hike plate of farm-to-table food. It’s all about the versatility in style (and in your lifestyle) that a piece like the Howler Brothers Gaucho Snapshirt brings to the table (and your closet). And the rest of the small details make the Howler Brothers Gaucho Snapshirt easily one of the best men’s shirts for spring and summer, from the vintage-inspired pearl snaps to the microfiber-lined chest pocket. It’s really tough to top the Howler Brothers Gaucho Snapshirt, don’t you think?
The tough T-shirt that’s going to layer with ease all spring.
OK, it’s here — another glorious spring Friday. What are you wearing this weekend? It’s about high time you picked up the best T-shirt for spring and summer — the Flint and Tinder Heavy Slub Tee, as shown above. It’s going to layer up perfectly with all manner of men’s style essentials, not to mention stylish spring sneakers or your favorite pair of chukka boots. It’s as simple as that. So, that’s the T-shirt you’re wearing this weekend. What’s on your weekend agenda? Perhaps a visit to your favorite brewery or maybe even an evening of live music? My weekend is going to contain a little bit of both — I’m kicking off Friday night right by seeing hard-rocking British band Foals play my favorite venue in the city, Brooklyn Steel! And beforehand, I plan to stop by Grimm Artisanal Ales for a few choice pre-concert brews. It all sounds great on paper — I certainly can’t wait. The rest of the weekend will be filled with searching out the perfect cup of coffee (I’m looking forward to hitting up Mixtape Bushwick in that regard), along with writing for some of my favorite menswear sites. As of late, I’ve started up writing again for Effortless Gent, a classic Web site I still love, and you can view that work here. For the rest of ya, well, there’s a nice selection of weekend reads below. Thanks for reading!
- Which jacket blends heritage-quality style with spring-ready layering potential and unlimited wearability? Why, that’s be the Todd Snyder x Golden Bear Bomber, as covered by yours truly at GearMoose! Cheers.
- In my mind, our #OOTD series is always worth a second — or third — look. In that regard, I’d say it behooves you to learn how to wear your new favorite T-shirt this spring. This look won’t let you down, I guarantee it.
- Whether you’re new to the world of taming your stubble or consider yourself a seasoned pro, it’d be handy to know about the best shave clubs for men — right? Enter my latest post for GearMoose covering the shaving essentials you can’t live without.
- Last but not least — do you have a spring getaway coming up? Are you wondering what to wear? Gear up with my suggestions for what to pack for a tropical spring break — it’s as easy as that.
Before you go, I’m going to point you toward one more handy, useful article — my guide on how to wear sneakers this spring. It’s as classic and essential as can be. Find it useful? Let me know on Twitter!
The one and only denim jacket you need for spring and summer, available right now.
I’ll come right out and say it — the one jacket you need to wear this weekend is the Flint and Tinder Type 2 Trucker Jacket. Seriously, it could be the best denim jacket on the market, and that’s really saying something. As sold by Huckberry (and available in the site’s section of Just Landed new gear), it belongs on your back for many spring and summer weekends to come. How could you not love the throwback style and yet modern cool that this thing brings to the table, right? At any rate, I digress — we’ve got work to do. Well, not a ton of work, seeing as it’s the start of a spring weekend and all. After quite a few weeks on the road (including a recent trip to wonderful Portland, Maine as seen on my Instagram), I’ll be hanging back in Brooklyn this weekend, enjoying a favorite cup of coffee and visiting with an old college friend up from Washington, D.C., and taking in all the city has to offer on the craft brewing front (I think a trip to Five Boroughs Brewing is in the cards). And if I had my way, well, I’d be wearing the Flint and Tinder Typer 2 Trucker Jacket for exploring many a great brewery — but a guy can dream, right? For adding to your own menswear wish list, check out my Friday news selections below. Thanks for reading!
- OK, so I mentioned the wildly popular show “Game of Thrones” up above in the headline … but I don’t watch the show (sorry!), so why did I call it out? Well, it’s got a menswear-specific tie-in. Namely, the John Varvatos x Game of Thrones collaboration just dropped, and I wrote about it for The Manual! Get even more of your GOT fix by reading up on the full offering.
- We’re well and truly into spring sneaker season — it’s with that in mind that I put together my own guide recently on the blog covering how to wear sneakers this spring. Can’t go wrong with an entry in our ongoing #OOTD series, can you?
- If you follow me on Instagram, you know I appreciate a tasty whiskey — in an Old Fashioned or on its own, on the rocks — as much as the next guy. In that regard, it was pretty neat to learn and write about Yellow Rose Outlaw Bourbon, one spirit you should serioulsy consider adding to your bar cart — read about why it’s so unique and essential (hint: It involves Texas corn!) over at GearMoose.With the weekend nearly upon us, I bet you’re ready to get going. Not so fast, my friends. Stick around for one more second to read about this spring’s must-buy boots (from Taylor Stitch naturally). And while you’re still here, you might want to read about the classic leather watch you need on your wrist … ASAP. OK, that’ll do it from me. Have a good one!
Just one option with the reversible Banks Journal Lumber Jacket.
Want two jackets for the price of one? Heck, want a jacket that qualifies as one of the best men’s spring jackets? You’re definitely in luck, seeing as today’s See Now, Buy Now series entry — the Banks Journal Lumber Jacket as sold by our stylish friends at Bespoke Post — fits the bill on both fronts. And for the ongoing transition into spring, versatile and adaptable style — especially when it comes to your rotation of spring jackets — is critical. So, again … enter the Banks Journal Lumber Jacket, featuring a 100 percent brushed cotton flannel construction on side two (as seen below), and an easy-to-layer wool-poly blend in a handsome golden color on side one. Either way, you’re getting a heck of a lot of wearability for an excellent price when it comes to this stylish spring jacket. Options are crucial, and comfort is certainly key — the brand envisioned this jacket being worn after an early surf or a late evening out.
SHOP: The Banks Journal Lumber Jacket via Bespoke Post
Side two of this functional, handsome jacket.
Your author’s personal favorite when it comes to the Banks Journal Lumber Jacket is side one — the rich golden color option, finished off with side handwarmer pockets and two chest button-snap pockets for your everyday carry essentials. There’s something that just feels right about this jacket, especially when paired up with, say, a rugged short-sleeve henley and grey chinos — plus vintage-inspired sneakers for spring. Of course, either side is stylish and versatile — the plaid side of the Banks Journal Lumber Jacket, made with brushed cotton flannel, is a perfect way to combat chilly spring evenings or a breezy early morning commute, especially when worn with a classic dark indigo shirt and slim faded denim. The point is, the Banks Journal Lumber Jacket is clean, classic and understated the whole way through (and not in a bad way). Which side of the Banks Journal Lumber Jacket is your favorite? And how would you wear it? Head over to The Style Guide Facebook page and let me know!
SHOP: The Banks Journal Lumber Jacket via Bespoke Post
A durable pair of boots that channel both classic hikers and high-top sneakers.
Even as we reach the end of April, there’s still a pair of shoes every guy — including you — needs in his wardrobe (and on his feet). And in the case of today’s See Now, Buy Now series entry, that pair of shoes happens to be a dependable-as-heck pair of hybrid sneaker-boots … specifically, the Ridgemont Outfitters Heritage Boot. The ideal shoe for fighting through spring rain and eventually transitioning toward sunny days, outdoor drinking and music festivals aplenty, the Ridgemont Outfitters Heritage Boots are a dependable and stylish pair of spring boots that are worth a second look if you want to switch up your footwear rotation this spring. Your humble Style Guide author always advocates for sticking to tried-and-true classics in the footwear department, from classic high-top sneakers to a timeless pair of chukka boots, but there’s something to be said for giving the more unique Ridgemont Outfitters Heritage Boots a try. That process starts from the ground up with a waterproof lining, so you know the guts of these boots are on point. But they come in mighty handy in matters of style, too.
That is to say, if you want to swap out your white canvas sneakers or suede chukka boots for a hearty park walk or a long, grueling day checking out multiple breweries (a tough job!), the Ridgemont Outfitters Heritage Boots are the ones to wear. They’ve got the comfort and cut of a pair of high-tops, with the durable touches of a rich leather pair of boots. Features like speed lacing and four cool color options (I like the Java color the best) make the Heritage Boots a reliable standby with casual outfits — like a classic chambray shirt and dark denim, or a slub pocket tee and faded light wash jeans. The price point on the Ridgemont Outfitters Heritage Boots is almost too agreeable, as well — currently under $130. That’s a must-buy at any time of year, but especially right now.
Can you dig the affordable style and versatility of the Ridgemont Outfitters Heritage Boots? Let me know on Twitter.
Thanks for reading!
What’s better to wear on a breezy spring day than a slim, stylish polo? Truly, there’s not much. And that’s even moreso the case with the Criquet Slim-Fit Player’s Shirt, a piece that could quickly become your new favorite spring and summer polo. It’s this week’s Style Pick of the Week for great reason — plenty of #menswear-centric design details set it apart from your average polo, and that means it’s to be applauded, praised …. and purchased. In fact, you might recognize the Criquet Slim-Fit Player’s Shirt from a recent #OOTD entry, and it’s back today thanks to its versatility and sharp style. It’s available in a wide plethora of colors, including the crisp Heavy Metal colorway seen in these photos. Other options include the Midnight Cowboy Slim-Fit Player’s Shirt and the Mr. White Slim-Fit Player’s Shirt, so you certainly can’t go wrong in that regard.
It’s a newer take on the brand’s classic Player’s Shirt, and it’s a welcome addition to the brand’s line. Now, just why is it so tough to misstep when picking up a slim polo (or other stylish gear) from Criquet Shirts? Let me tell you, my good man. Criquet Shirts started with the simple idea that today’s polo shirts featured sloppy collars and poor construction — using the idea of their favorite prep-school shirts as well as classic polos worn by the guys in their family, Criquet Shirts set out to upgrade the polo. And after checking out the Criquet Slim-Fit Player’s Shirt (in multiple colorways) these past few weeks, I can definitely concur that it’s a style upgrade worth picking up for your closet this season. It’s comfortable enough to wear on a spring road trip, it’s stylish enough to layer under a lightweight navy blazer, and it’s well-made enough to work as hard as you do all day long — trust me.
A classic polo paired with crisp chinos and white sneakers — definitely the way to go. Renshaw Sneakers by Brooks Heritage. Standard Issue Utility Chinos by Brooks Heritage. Mod Watch by Timex x Todd Snyder. Notebook by Field Notes Brand. 810 Wallet by Brothers Leather Supply.
It features the sort of welcome design touches that other polo shirts lack — for starters, the sturdy collar sits nicely throughout the day, and doesn’t curl over (collar stays similar to your favorite dress shirt help out with that). And the 100 percent organic cotton jersey fabric is soft, comfortable and breathable — you’ll be comfortable in the heat with any color option of the Criquet Slim-Fit Player’s Shirt. I’ve found mine to be handy and versatile enough to wear with everything from slim Apolis chinos and classic SeaVees sneakers to stylish light wash denim and a classic bomber jacket. And although some are firmly in the anti-logo camp, the small Criquet logo stitched on the left chest pocket is understated enough that the Criquet Slim-Fit Player’s Shirt works well on its own sans jacket. That’s great news if you’re in need of a polo — or several — to wear to work and then out to happy hour (without any of the bad connotations that bright polo shirts seem to conjure up). Feel free to wear it with tailored swim shorts and slip-on sneakers to the beach or boardwalk, too. And another thing — if you’ve found yourself wearing fewer and fewer polos over the years, it’s definitely time to start again. Make no mistake — the comfortable fabric, refined colors and tailored fit of the Criquet Slim-Fit Player’s Shirt are all features that could be enough to make you a believer in the power of the polo once again.
So, are you back on-board with a polo for spring and summer? What about the Criquet Slim-Fit Player’s Shirt?
Let me know in the comments — and we’ll see you out there!