To me, it feels like we were just lacing up our rugged leather boots and gearing up for fall & winter, and yet, just as with the shifting tides of the ocean, the menswear world rolls on … and so here we are, talking new spring style essentials. The world is going pretty haywire right now, so all of these picks might not work right now as originally intended — but who said you don’t need great style at home? And who said you don’t need to gear up to get things done outside, too? More specifically, today’s look still provides a timely answer to that age-old question: “What do I wear this spring?” — and to be even more specific, what do I wear on a breezy spring day? The type of day that might unexpectedly bring rain & wind, yet you’ve still got to get out there? Today’s #OOTD steps right up and answers that question decisively, from the stylish rain jacket (via J. Crew) to the classic Blundstone boots that’ll help you navigate slick city streets and wet country roads in equal measure. The fact that the outfit ties in reliable standby pieces like a classic overshirt is a big positive, but rest assured, this is an outfit that’s still got some office-ready polish — that’s all owing to touches like versatile everyday pants from Western Rise, plus a classic everyday watch. We’re not abandoning layering in favor of full-on summer style just yet though, so a luxurious T-shirt is your critical base layer here (more on that in a moment). The key when it comes to dealing with spring weather? Being ready for anything, from unexpected rain to high winds to a late night FaceTime happy hour with friends, and so on. Today’s #OOTD will get you there, mark my words. If you like what you see, be sure to hit me up on Twitter to let me know. Thanks for reading!
- The Rain Jacket: J. Crew Brunswick Rain Jacket, $148 — J. Crew continues to expand its repetoire in new and pleasing ways, such as this ultra-stylish and functional rain jacket — quite possibly the perfect piece of spring outerwear.
- The Rugged Overshirt: Flint and Tinder Chamois Overshirt, $138 — There’s a chance that breezy spring weather could get ever-so-slightly chillier than expected, and that’s where one of the best men’s overshirts from Flint and Tinder comes into play.
- The Refined Tee: General Issue Short-Sleeve Tee, $85 — General Issue launched last year with a focus on making refined men’s basics, such as this expertly cut T-shirt — it’s ready to be layered with ease on a breezy spring day under your rugged overshirt, and it also looks great the rest of the time on its own.
- The Pants: Western Rise Diversion Pants, $138 — For getting around in style this spring, reach for these new, versatile everyday pants from Western Rise — they’re abrasion-resistant and feature four-way stretch, so in short, they’re the perfect pants for your next spring adventure.
- The Boots: Blundstone Original 550 Boots, $195 — Rain-ready, rugged and durable, the Blundstone Original 550 Boots are some of the best boots for spring (and well beyond) — regardless of how much it actually rains.
- The Watch: Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 68, $1,395 — The demands of spring weather call for a tough everyday watch — and yes, the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 68, while quite pricey (to say the least) is one of the best new watches to buy right now.
- The Everyday Carry: Billykirk x Flint and Tinder Standard Issue Tote, $165 — No matter where you’re heading this spring, a rugged tote bag is the perfect everyday carry addition — and it helps that this stylish tote is from Billykirk & Flint and Tinder.
- The Grooming Essential: Doji Natural Deodrant Spray, $10 — Keep your grooming on-point this season with a handy natural deodorant spray that just so happens to be very affordably priced.
Dealing with spring rain and breezy weather comes down to more than just throwing on a rain jacket and calling it a day — in the case of this ensemble, layers are ever-more critical with each passing day (and each passing storm, for that matter). Kicking things off with the excellent, highly functional J. Crew Brunswick Jacket is assuredly a smart move, as is adding one of the best men’s overshirts from Flint and Tinder — and to top it off, a premium T-shirt from General Issue adds both visual interest and comfort on a chilly spring day. When spring weather starts up though, anything can happen, so you assuredly need some of the best boots for spring — Blundstone has you taken care of. Those boots, while a bit bulky, are still able to readily pair with your versatile everyday pants from Western Rise — that combination should offer ease of movement and plenty of style (heck, I’ve tried out the Western Rise Diversion Pants and am a big fan of them). Now, it wouldn’t be a complete outfit with a durable, classic watch like the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 68, would it? You’re investing in that timepiece, to be sure, but you’ll have it for years and years to come. And no matter what you’ve got to haul around — be it gear for work or your favorite book — a rugged tote bag will keep your everyday carry in fine form. And last but not least, stay fresh with a natural deodorant spray that’s quite easy to use. Does that about cover everything when it comes to versatile spring style? Why yes, yes I think it does.