Hey there, folks — it’s time to wrap up the week once more and jump right into The Friday Read on this fine Brooklyn day. How was your week? Tough to believe that we’ve rolled past Mother’s Day and we’ve now got Father’s Day on our radar in terms of shopping (that is, in addition to the other #menswear shopping recommendations we’ve made on this site). Time’s positively been flying by, especially considering that I traveled to Indiana in style last weekend to catch up with old college friends, try out some craft brews at Goshen Brewing Company and take in the quiet tranquility of the Midwest — if you follow me on Instagram though, you know all about that trip. And back in NYC, we’ve been busy on the blogging and writing front — you’ll see a few handy spring travel tips and more men’s style news to know below.
Of course, I’m particularly excited about what’s to come in the days ahead. Specifically, I’m looking forward to exploring the lovely borough of Queens today in advance of what should be an incredible show from acclaimed British electro-pop band The xx. The band really defies any categorization though, and the group’s new third album — “I See You”— features some of the strongest musical work of 2017, hands down. Yes indeed, it should be a magical evening at Forest Hills Stadium in Queens. What are your weekend plans? Standby for tomorrow’s new Style Pick of the Week, as it were — and feel free to join the conversation on Twitter if you’ve got a style query I can answer. Hopefully, I can help — let’s start with these items below, shall we?
- Let’s talk, really briefly, about how to dress for spring travel. It’s nearly time to hit the road for Memorial Day and beyond, and I’d recommend you dress in casual, comfortable and versatile style. Grab a handsome leather weekender bag, throw on the Flint and Tinder Supima AirKnit Polo and a rugged-yet-wearable watch like the Jack Mason Aviator 3-Hand and be prepared for plenty of adventures ahead. At least, that’s my plan.
- Who doesn’t love a simple-yet-stylish spring and summer T-shirt? Better yet, how about one that supports a great cause? That’s exactly what Waves for Water is doing with its Artists for Water series, which applies the brand’s trademark focus to upgrading something we all know and love — The T-shirt. That means these T-shirts feature one-of-a-kind artwork from designers and artists alike, including Shawn Stussy (yes, the Shawn Stussy) and Nautas Kapas, the famed skateboarder, designer and now creative director at Birdwell Beach Britches. What does this mean for you, stylish reader? It means that now through July 3rd, you can keep your eyes peeled on the site for new weekly T-shirt launches.
- OK, so how about upgrading your leather watch? If you happen to be in NYC, or visiting, you should absolutely check out the new Shinola Brooklyn store. They absolutely make some of the best men’s leather watches out there, and it was a treat to catch up with Shinola Creative Director Daniel Caudill for The Manual in advance of the opening, and I’d daresay you’ll be more than pleased with the brand’s handsome accessories and home goods.
- The summer is no time to let your outerwear game slip, especially on breezy nights — I’d suggest you pick up the Goldwin Packable Windbreaker, one of my recent entries for GearMoose, and let me know where you’re headed.
- Now, let’s talk music. If you missed it last Saturday, you can — and should — watch the lovely ladies of California rock trio HAIM play two new songs on Saturday Night Live! Who else is excited for the group’s new album this July? I sure am.
- While we’re taking new music, it was with joy and surprise that I first listened to the new single by The National last week. If you haven’t heard the latest from the indie rock heroes, listen to “The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness” as soon as you can. Trust me.
OK, loyal Style Guide readers. That’s it — that’s all we’ve got! Unless, of course, you haven’t listened to that new single by The National. You should do that, ASAP.
Now, we’re ready for the weekend — stay stylish!