The rugged, classic chore jacket to buy for summer — and wear into fall.
Editor’s note: Consider The Thursday Buy a quick jumpstart to your day. One product, for a great deal, to get ready for the weekend.
Folks, it’s time for our second edition of The Thursday Buy. Consider it one menswear essential to get in your shopping cart this instant. As we roll through July, you probably think your men’s style essentials are covered, right? Mostly? Not quite. Cool summer mornings and nights call for the best summer outerwear, and sometimes, a light windbreaker won’t do. Particularly if you’re near the water or out on the trail, a tough chore coat is the move. Thus, you should be prepared to snap up one of the best chore jackets for all those times and more, courtesy of New York City’s Freemans Sporting Club. A durable chore jacket works over your favorite T-shirt or rugged chambray shirt & it pairs quite nicely with expertly faded denim or slim chinos — or some of the best men’s shorts. This Freemans Sporting Club Chore Jacket is made in New York from tough duck canvas and organic cotton, too. That construction means it works with high-top sneakers, with suede chukka boots, with rugged leather hiking boots … it’s as essential as it gets, no matter what you dream up. And that’s why it’s today’s Thursday Buy, my friends.
SHOP: The Freemans Sporting Club Chore Jacket
When spring weather comes knocking on your door — be it on a blustery weekend or before a casual day at the home office — you best be prepared to get out there and get after it. That’s why we’re telling you all about your new favorite spring jacket today on the blog. A brief spoiler: It’s a rugged chore coat that just so happens to be highly versatile, seeing as it can both replace your blazer and act as an able-bodied companion when dressing to head to your favorite brewery for a delicious (to-go!) spring beer. The key with this ensemble, as with most entries in our #OOTD series, lies in the fact that you can blend these pieces seamlessly all season long, no matter where you’ve got to go. So, you’ll find reliable numbers like a classic Oxford shirt, to go along with rugged leather boots and a dependable dive watch (to be more specific, a durable pilot chronograph). Slim chinos are also along for the ride here, which is part of the reason this look can work at the office or at home. Heck, when you’re dropping that kind of cash on spring style essentials, it’s in your best interest to make sure said gear is as versatile as possible, right? Right. Now, I won’t spoil the rest of this #OOTD, so keep scrolling to check out your new favorite gear for spring.
A tough chore coat meets other menswear classics for unstoppable spring style.
- The Jacket: A.P.C. x Carhartt WIP Michigan Chore Coat, $425 — Made with rugged technical canvas, this tough chore coat from the A.P.C. x Carhartt WIP collab fits the bill as far as your new favorite spring jacket goes. It’s a cool workwear jacket that’ll give you plenty of seasonal mileage.
- The Shirt: Buck Mason Perfect Oxford One-Pocket Shirt, $95 — To pair with your rugged chore coat, reach for a classic Oxford shirt in a similar (but unique!) color palette — Buck Mason delivers time and again when it comes to the best Oxford shirts, and this one is no exception.
- The Tee: Buck Mason Slub Curved Hem Tee, $35 — For essential spring layering, it gets no better than a Buck Mason T-shirt, made with slub fabric in a perfect wash. It’s one of the best men’s tees for spring, and layering it here with your classic Oxford shirt gives your look a bit more visual interest.
- The Pants: Wellen Standard Chinos, $88 — Slim chinos in a neutral color that just so happen to be stylish and sustainable? Those sound like some of the best men’s chinos to finish off this #OOTD, right? Right.
- The Boots: HELM Boots Zind Boots, $350 — Because there’s a chance we’re still dealing with blustery spring weather, rugged leather boots from HELM Boots are the way to go. It’s also helpful to know that you can get $50 off your first purchase, plus free shipping, if you shop now — right? Agreed!
- The Watch: Centric Instruments Lightwell Pilot Chronograph, $330 — This outfit is packed with everyday, reliable classics, from rugged leather boots to a classic Oxford shirt, so you might as well keep it going with a durable pilot chronograph in a refined design.
- The Best Men’s Cologne: Duke Cannon x Budweiser American Lager Solid Cologne, $25 — That’s right, I’m calling this classic solid cologne from Duke Cannon x Budweiser some of the best men’s cologne your money can buy. The Cedarwood scent is versatile and fitting for spring, too.
- The Everyday Carry: Filson Dryden Briefcase, $175 — No matter where your work day or weekend takes you, you can’t go wrong with a rugged briefcase from Filson to round out your everyday carry essentials.
Alright, my friends — did this ensemble give you some ideas as to how to wear your new favorite spring jacket? Possibly? I sure hope so — it’s geared up to help you get out there and explore this spring (or just hang at your local bar or coffee shop when the time comes). Complementary picks like one of the best Oxford shirts add even more versatility and go-anywhere style, while some of the best men’s chinos make this look just a bit sharper. Lest we forget, you’re also going to be rocking one of the best men’s tees for spring for added layering and warmth on chilly days. What’s more, your accessories are also on-point — a classic stainless steel dive watch helps out with that, as does the tough-as-ever Filson Dryden Briefcase (it’s a hit whether on the road or working from your favorite coffee shop). Accent this entire look with a true seasonal grooming essential: A classic solid cologne from Duke Cannon x Budweiser, sure to impress anyone who’s in your immediate vicinity. When taken all together, this look is rugged, classic and dependable — exactly the kind of style you want this spring. To see how I’m dressing this season, head to my Instagram.
The best way to gear up for fall on the outerwear front? Quite possibly.
We’ll kick off today’s Friday Read in suitably rugged fashion given that we’ve moved into October — namely, you could do worse to layer up for fall than by grabbing one of the best waxed trucker jackets on the market … yes, the utterly classic Flint and Tinder Flannel-Lined Waxed Trucker Jacket. It’s as good as it gets for rugged weekend adventures (and weekday commutes, too). It’s been a longtime favorite of the blog, and I’ll be wearing it the next time I’m back in Brooklyn. Reason being, I’ll be on the road this weekend heading to North Carolina for the wedding of my great college friend and former journalism colleague Mr. Dillon Davis! The wedding takes place outside Asheville in the lovely mountains of Western North Carolina — of course, I’ll be dressed in style and am even planning to break out my Taylor Stitch Telegraph Jacket. To follow along with my fall wedding style moves, check out my Instagram. Have any suggestions for what to see or where to go in Asheville? Let me know, as I’m looking forward to using some free time to check out the Asheville craft beer scene with another great college friend, beer writer extraordinaire Mr. Pat Evans! It’ll be a great trip and a great time to celebrate Dillon’s wedding and see so many old friends. I can’t wait! Of course, in the meantime, we’ll still have tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week incoming — and there’s still plenty to enjoy from the below men’s style reads, too. Like what you see? Thanks for stopping through!
- As I mentioned, we’ve got a lot of ground to cover when it comes to stylish fall layers — and it’s with that approach in mind that I covered the very best chore coats from some of my favorite brands within the rugged confines of GearMoose. ‘Tis the season, after all!
- Let’s keep it rolling with more essential fall outerwear, shall we? In this case, I also wrote about some of the best, toughest shirt jackets on the market for The Manual — within that piece, you’ll find plenty of helpful, warm and durable options from brands like Taylor Stitch & Flint and Tinder. Read on and study up!
- We’re about more than just menswear here on the blog — if you read the site regularly, you know this to be true. So, let’s turn our attention toward a seriously fun, limited-edition beer that’ll add some refreshment and enjoyment to your craft beer rotation. That is to say, when you want to switch it up from a typical IPA or pilsner, reach for the Pulped Fiction Berliner Weisse (particularly if you live in a warmer climate). It’s light, refreshing and juicy — and it’s my latest beer entry for GearMoose! Bottoms up.
Alright, so we’ve talked craft beer and tough shirt jackets and the best waxed jackets aplenty — with that being said, I’ll leave you with one last roundup of the best new men’s gear for fall. There’s no time to waste, folks. Have a great weekend!