OK, so you might think you’ve got it all figured out when it comes to wearing your favorite pair of dark blue denim. In fact, the right pair of slim blue jeans are a certified menswear classic (especially a pair from Mott and Bow as seen in today’s #OOTD), but there’s plenty that you can do to switch up how to wear jeans this fall. How is that possible? Bear with me here. As you very well know from perusing the pages of this very Web site, classic blue jeans are like the Swiss Army Knife of pants, able to be worn in ways both business casual and entirely laidback. Today’s #OOTD harnesses a bit of both, starting with ever-so-slightly faded Mott and Bow denim (apt for the weekend or a casual work week) and carrying on through to the gear they’re being paired with — as you’ll see, a classic Western shirt and a refined suede jacket do some heavy lifting when it comes to switching up things from the routine. In short, it’s touches like those that can elevate your favorite pair of blue denim from good to great, from the weekend back to the office and beyond. Seems to be good to be true? You haven’t seen anything quite yet.
Classic blue Mott & Bow denim to go along with seriously stylish seasonal essentials.
- The Slim Blue Jeans: Mott and Bow Crosby Denim, $108 — Yes indeed, we’ll start things off with some of the best men’s blue jeans out there, plain and simple. The Mott and Bow Crosby Denim feature a slightly faded wash for when you want jeans to wear to the office or on a weekend.
- The Jacket: Todd Snyder Dylan Suede Snap Jacket, $995 — So, we’re forking over a bit more cash to invest in a new fall style essential — this Todd Snyder jacket is one of the best men’s jackets for the season, and it’ll stay that way for years. Rugged and yet stylish enough for a casual fall Friday & plenty of weekend wear.
- The Shirt: Billy Reid Western Snap-Front Shirt, $225 — Is this Billy Reid shirt expensive? Yes. Is it a classic Western shirt done in an upgraded, visually interesting manner? Also, yes. Perfect when you want to switch up your typical shirting rotation.
- The Classic Desert Boots: Rhodes Footwear Dylan Chukka Boots, $165 — Expect nothing less than the best when it comes to classic desert boots as sold by Huckberry. These are the perfect casual leather boots for any day of the week.
- The Watch: VAER Watches Heritage Watch, $209 — With an #OOTD like this one, your accessories need to stay on-point. Enter this rugged leather watch from VAER Watches, easily.
- The Belt: Taylor Stitch Stitched Belt in Whiskey Eagle, $88 — Surprisingly, the right leather belt can make all the difference — and unsurprisingly, the Taylor Stitch Stitched Belt is one of the best on the market.
- The Socks: Hill City Performance Socks, $14 — To complement this ensemble, reach for richly crafted, comfortable, performance-minded socks from Hill City — made to help you stay cool on your feet all day long.
- The Everyday Carry: Filson Ballistic Nylon Dryden Briefcase, $175 — Whether it’s a trek to the office you’ve got in mind, or a trek to your favorite coffee shop, the Filson Dryden Briefcase can make all the difference in hauling your everyday carry essentials.
Although at first they might seem pedestrian or too casual, there’s actually a lot that you can do to make the best men’s blue jeans work for you in a way that’s upgraded and seriously stylish — take this ensemble, for starters. The reason this look works so well for everything from casual Friday to a first date to a brewery visit? It all starts with slim blue jeans that are worth investing a little extra — gone are baggy or bootcut jeans, naturally. And we’re not just throwing on any old shirt, either — the truly excellent Billy Reid shirt shown above is stylish, rugged and exceptionally versatile. Match it up with one of the best men’s jackets this writer has ever seen (a stylish and refined Todd Snyder trucker jacket), and you’ve got the makings of a look that’s made to impress, whether at the office or on the road. Things only get better when you look at the rest of these gear picks, from the dependable Filson Dryden Briefcase for your everyday carry right on through to the Taylor Stitch Stitched Belt
— when you take care of the small details, the bigger details (like your classic desert boots) tend to take care of themselves. Accent everything with an office or date-ready rugged leather watch, then top it off with subtly stylish Hill City socks, and you’ve got your new favorite #OOTD for the work week or the weekend. Don’t believe me? Give it a try yourself.
Perhaps you’ve got a stylish pair of black denim in your closet — perhaps you’re even wearing that pair now. But lest you think that classic black jeans only work on the weekends or as you dress to head to a rock concert … think again. It’s 2019, and with that, we’re diving in today to examine how to wear jeans to the office this winter. And our featured product checks all the right boxes — the Flint and Tinder Jet Black Jeans ($118) are as good as it gets. Again, you’re not putting on just any old pair of jeans and calling it a day — wearing a stylish pair of black denim to the office only works if the jeans in question are sleek and well-fitting, not baggy or overly faded. And you’ve got to complement that outfit the right way — in this case, a classic sweater from Taylor Stitch stands in for a blazer in terms of cool-yet-crisp style, while rugged leather boots from Nisolo substitute for dress shoes. We’re also sticking with an office-ready watch, a slim brown leather belt, and — naturally — an investment-level peacoat. I’ll let you figure out the rest below, though. To see how I’m dressing for the office this winter, head to my Instagram. Thanks for reading!
Slim jeans, plus a dependable sweater and stylish leather boots, make for a perfect office #OOTD.
- The Slim Black Denim: Flint and Tinder Jet Black Jeans, $118 — Every guy needs a pair of stylish black denim in his closet — and yes, with a slim cut and a cool color, you can wear ’em to the office.
- The Sweater: Taylor Stitch Rangeley Sweater, $168 — Shake up your winter sweater game with a classic sweater from Taylor Stitch — attainable, premium layering for winter.
- The Shirt: Faherty Brand Melange Oxford Shirt, $118 — Can’t get enough of Faherty Brand? Neither can I. This classic Oxford shirt is less refined than a dress shirt, yet still polished, so you can certainly wear it for a casual day on the clock.
- The Peacoat: Billy Reid Bond Peacoat, $695 — How are you fighting winter’s chill on your commute or your lunch break? Answer: A classic peacoat from Billy Reid.
- The Boots: Nisolo Andres All-Weather Boots, $288 — Looking for sleek leather boots that are made to take on the weather? Nisolo has you covered.
- The Stylish Casual Watch: Zodiac Chrono Quartz Watch, $495 — The right blend of office-ready style and everyday durability is a tricky one — this stylish casual watch from Zodiac checks all the right boxes, though.
- The Socks: CHUP Fika Socks, $35 — We didn’t say you could skimp on your stylish socks, did we? CHUP makes some of the best pairs around — that’s a fact.
- The Winter Grooming Essential: Bespoke Post Groomed Box, $45 — When you sign up for Bespoke Post, you get access to grooming essentials like these at a low price. You’re going to look great at the office in every possible way.
- The Belt: Taylor Stitch Stitched Belt in Whiskey, $88 — As I say nearly every week, accessories shouldn’t fall by the wayside — this classic leather belt from Taylor Stitch proves that quite easily.
- The Everyday Bag: Filson 24-Hour Tin Cloth Brief, $395 — Getting around in winter is a different beast — a rugged everyday bag from Filson is up to the challenge of the season’s worst.
Winter again demands that you navigate the chilly weather and nasty storms in style without missing a beat — that’s exceptionally true if you’re heading to the office. Again, that doesn’t mean you need to shelve your stylish black denim until the weekend. In fact, it means you need to step up the rest of your game accordingly. So, I’d recommend you throw on a classic peacoat from Billy Reid, then accessorize the rest of your outfit with pieces like the Taylor Stitch Rangeley Sweater — it’s a truly classic winter sweater that provides comfort and refined style. It should be complemented quite nicely by an equally classic Oxford shirt from our friends at Faherty Brand — the premium fabric and timeless silhouette are winners in my book. Need to go even more tailored? Add a navy knit tie.
On the footwear front, you’re tackling the demands of navigating winter streets and also looking sharp for the office — enter sleek leather boots from the good folks at Nisolo. Your wrist game also should reflect both winter weather and office style, and the handsome Zodiac Chrono Quartz Watch makes that easy to do. Believe it or not, stylish socks from CHUP can also work nicely at the office — both as a conversation starter and an added touch of visual interest. Throwing on a classic leather belt from Taylor Stitch ties this whole outfit together quite nicely — don’t forget to bring your rugged everyday bag from Filson to your next meeting, though. The key with getting dressed for the office in winter all comes back to reaching for the right gear — gear that blends functionality with clean, classic style.
What do you think of this #OOTD? Join us via The Style Guide Facebook page.