It’s with a much-needed weekend ahead of me that I’m writing today’s Style Guide missive in our ongoing Friday Read series — perhaps you feel the same way? We’re closing out an incredibly busy week on the #menswear front in NYC, including two whirlwind days for yours truly at style trade shows like Liberty Fashion & Lifestyle Fairs and Capsule Show. This week’s schedule also included a stop to view the contemporary and slightly edgier mix of brands found at MAN-WOMAN show (think tried-and-true favorites like Apolis and upstart brands like Alps & Meters — as seen in this Midwest fall style post).
At any rate, it was great to catch up with brands familiar and unfamiliar, many of whom you see regularly on this blog — from the standout sneaker makers at SeaVees to perennial Style Guide favorite Frank and Oak. I got around in style with my Timex x Todd Snyder Military Watch and made sure to rock some stylish men’s sunglasses, too. And as it were, that busy week of trade show action capped off an even busier weekend, if you can believe it. Incredibly and unexpectedly, I had the chance to see my favorite band, indie rockers The National, play not one, but two breathtaking shows in the small upstate town of Hudson last weekend. They debuted tracks off their upcoming new album, “Sleep Well Beast,” and I can assuredly say after hearing it twice that it’s on track to be one of the year’s best — no joke. I won’t give away too much, but you can read an excellent write-up at Vinyl Me, Please of the two emotional, powerful shows at converted factory Basilica Hudson. In short, I was so very glad I went — no regrets at all! With that being said, I’m very much looking forward to some much-needed downtime this weekend — and on that note, I’m going to leave you with today’s #menswear news. Happy reading, enjoy the weekend and keep up with my Brooklyn explorations over on Instagram.
- We’ll start with the menswear world here — and specifically, the world of stylish men’s dress shoes. Among American purveyors of your favorite dress shoes, Allen Edmonds has got to rank high on the list — right? This week, CEO Paul Grangaard announced he’ll be assuming an advisory role as longtime industry vet Malcolm Robinson joins the brand’s parent company as president of its men’s and international divisions. I, for one, am excited to see where the brand continues to go — after checking out the Allen Edmonds Fall 2017 line last month, I can tell you that the brand has some great product — including plenty of stylish men’s boots — on the way this next season.
Upgrading your everyday carry is something we talk about frequently here on The Style Guide — and it’s with that in mind that I’m recommending you pick up the Grovemade Walnut and Leather iPhone Case
via my latest GearMoose feature. Ehh?
- Last but surely not least, it’s imperative given my *ahem* “job” as editor of The Style Guide that I direct you to the latest blog series here, called The List, chronicling the best new men’s gear to buy this week, this month … heck, this year? Happy shopping!
OK, loyal readers — we’re closing up shop early today! Have a great weekend, join us for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week from site favorites Mott and Bow, and we’ll catch you on Monday.
Thanks for reading!
Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
If you’ve had to check your calendar to confirm that it really is Friday again, you’re not alone. Between attending some excellent menswear trade shows — including Capsule Show and Liberty Fashion & Lifestyle Fairs — holding down the day job and working on this here blog, it’s positively flown by. It’s always refreshing to get out “in the field,” meet new brands and make new connections — good things in store ahead, I assure you. With those shows in the books, I’m truly looking forward to the weekend because, well, it’s my birthday! OK, that’s out of the way. But with any luck, I’ll get a few great #menswear gifts to feature on The Style Guide (‘cuz men’s style never sleeps). In classic fashion, I certainly intend on kicking back with a few craft brews — oh, and brunch. Absolutely, brunch. I’m particularly excited to partner with Frank and Oak on some content on behalf of the brand this weekend, too. You’ll be able to look for a full personal style post in that regard on Monday, of course! In the meantime, sit back and tuck in– this week, we talked the best men’s home goods to buy now, and we also filled you in on potentially your new favorite leather weekender bag. A lot happened in the men’s style world, too — read on below, join me on Instagram and see what’s cooking over on Twitter. Cheers!
- Regardless of how you feel about President Trump, it’s clear that some of his economic and trade, err, policies could directly impact the fashion industry. Specifically, American-made menswear. Esquire takes a deep dive into the issue this week; for what’s it worth, we here at The Style Guide — by we, I mean myself — will continue to cover and support brands that do high-quality work, anywhere and everywhere, but especially in the U.S.A.
- We’re switching off of #menswear for the time being and diving into an album that’s been in my headphones — and perhaps yours, too — since it came out earlier this month. Esquire (those guys again) put together a beautifully composed feature on The xx and the band’s beautifully composed new album, “I See You.” I’d urge a listen if you want to lift your mood and your day, folks.
- If stylish, technical and functional outerwear is your thing, read up on my latest GearMoose feature covering the sleek Sentinel Field Jacket — and maybe complement that purchase with a pair of the best men’s gloves for winter?
- Last but not least — if you, like myself, will be fumbling around this weekend for your wallet, grab the Brothers Leather Supply 810 Wallet and solve that problem handsomely (it’s a bit of a throwback post, but useful in its own right).
As always — thank you for reading, and join us tomorrow for what I think you’ll find is a very winter-centric Style Pick of the Week. Fist bumps all around, and you can keep my tab open (wink, wink).