Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
Can you believe we’re already into February? With a busy week of menswear trade shows — and crucially, New York Fashion Week: Men’s — in the books, I’m more than ready for a relaxing weekend. That being said, it’s definitely been a treat over the past week or so to catch up with so many great friends in the menswear industry between hopping around to events and checking out runway shows from the likes of Style Guide favorite Todd Snyder. Seriously, there are some very good things in the works for Fall 2017, from beautiful outerwear to next-level tailoring. On top of the great clothes, it’s special to meet outstanding people and see where the industry is headed. From my very first New York Fashion Week: Men’s experience way back in July 2015 until now, it’s been amazing to witness firsthand a changing industry, all the while writing and learning about it along the way.
And with that being said, I’m more than excited to return home to Michigan for what should be an awesome, reflective few days spent with great friends and family — I try to get back as often as I can, and I’m particularly excited to explore Beer City U.S.A. this time around (that’d be Grand Rapids, folks). In fact, I’d say I’ll be dressed in essential winter travel style along the way. Now, if you’re looking to check a few items off your own travel bucket list, I’d say you should start with my summer trip to Grand Rapids, and then look back to my rugged fall trip to Michigan while we’re here (talk about a throwback!). In the meantime, read a few choice #menswear pieces below, and follow along with my weekend travels on Instagram and on Twitter. Know that in the week ahead, we’ve got some exciting things planned —another great Style Pick tomorrow, for starters. Enjoy the weekend and TGIF!
- Odds are, you don’t own a pocket watch — right? If you’re feeling nostalgic or yearning for a simper time, Luftbery Pocket Watches has you covered in terms of, well, a new pocket watch. It’s a recent launch on Kickstarter, and it just might be something to set you apart from those of us who consistently check our time on our phones. Get a look at the brand’s site here.
- Did you see last week’s Style Pick? If not, acquaint yourself as soon as possible with the Danner Mountain Light Boots — they steal some style inspiration from James Bond, and they’re tough, sleek and ready for anything this winter.
- In addition to his, err, questionable policy-making (to say the least), Donald Trump’s menswear track record is quickly taking a dive — Esquire examines the fact that the man just does not know how to tie a tie (or do much else).
- Last but certainly not least — it was a real treat this past week to sort through the essential, durable goods produced by Huckberry, especially considering chilly winter weather — yes, take a look at Huckberry’s best winter gear via one of my recent posts for The Manual.
And one more thing…
- What’s not to love about the retro sportswear inspiration and near-perfect fabrications of the Todd Snyder x Champion collection? The latest release is this stellar Todd Snyder x Champion Baracuta Jacket, as I covered for GearMoose.
OK folks, that’s all we’ve got today — with that being said, I’m off to have some brews in Grand Rapids!
Until tomorrow’s Style Pick…