The shawl collar cardigan. How about it, folks? An essential, casual winter layer, yes? Now, we’ve talked about more refined style moves like how to wear a topcoat this winter (and you can certainly put that same Todd Snyder topcoat to use here as your outer layer), but let’s go a little more casual and talk about how to wear a shawl cardigan this winter. Of course, with Valentine’s Day on the horizon next week, this can also serve as a guide on what guys should wear for Valentine’s Day. Ya dig? To get even more specific, let’s talk about how to wear the Peregrine Waffle Cardigan, a rugged-yet-versatile, classic shawl cardigan that’s going to complement plenty of your favorite casual style essentials this season. Consider this a slightly different take on my 2020 guide to wearing a cardigan, complete with a bit more laidback, relaxation-ready appeal. Why go with a shawl cardigan for winter? It’s simple, really.
The shawl neck gives it a more burly build, insulating you from the cold (seriously, you could wear this cardigan with just a scarf and a Huckberry beanie cap, sans jacket, if you really needed to get out there). And the shawl collar cardigan is a favorite of current style icons (think Daniel Craig as James Bond) and past style luminaries (look at Steve McQueen’s shawl cardigan) in equal measure. If it’s good enough for them, it’s more than good enough for you. When you pair it with casual-yet-rugged pieces like your favorite henley and the perfect casual watch (from Timex!), it only gets better. Heck, we’re even throwing some Woodford Reserve whiskey into the mix for at-home enjoyment. Keep scrolling for the rest of this #OOTD, and be sure to give me a follow on Instagram to see how I’m styling my winter gear from Huckberry and beyond this season.
A mix of rugged and casual style essentials for days and nights at home (including your favorite whiskey, of course).
- The Shawl Cardigan: Peregrine Waffle Cardigan, $189 — From the warming British wool fabric to the rugged shawl construction for insluation against the cold, this is your new favorite sweater for winter, no doubt about it. It’s assuredly one of the best men’s cardigans, agreed?
- The Long-Sleeve Tee: Proof 72-Hour Merino Long-Sleeve Tee, $92 — Simply put, a casual long-sleeve tee is the ultimate grab-and-go layer for cold weekend and weekday mornings and nights at home, no questions asked, and Proof makes one of the best men’s T-shirts around.
- The Pants: Western Rise Spectrum Joggers, $128 — Part chino, part sweatpant and as versatile as can be, these comfortable pants to wear at home feature a slim fit and an elastic waistband — no one will know you’re not wearing a belt, and that’s what these days need.
- The Shoes: GREATS Foster Slippers, $99 — Maybe you, like me, view this outfit as the perfect at-home style ensemble. In that case, the GREATS Foster Slippers are some of the most stylish slippers you can buy, and you can even wear ’em out of the house without missing a beat.
- The Watch: Timex M79 Stainless Steel Automatic Watch, $279 — The Timex M79 is a newfound favorite among stylish guys (like yourself), and in this case, it’s the perfect casual watch for this ensemble.
- The Winter Hat: Huckberry Beanie, $28 — This #OOTD calls for one of the best men’s winter hats, and in this case, it’s a rugged beanie to hide your bedhead on Zoom calls and keep you warm in front of the fire.
- The Home Bar Cart Essential: Infused Skull Globe Decanter Set, $90 — Today’s ensemble is all about laidback relaxation, and what better way to kick back than with your favorite winter whiskey, served from this incredibly cool decanter set and sold by Bespoke Post?
- The Winter Whiskey: Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, $57 — Even when kicked back at home, life should be about the little things, like an incredible winter whiskey from Woodford Reserve (best enjoyed out of your cool decanter set and delivered by alcohol delivery service Drizly).
Maybe it’s just me, but this outfit just speaks to me as far as excellent, truly casual, laidback-but-not-sloppy winter style is concerned. When you want to switch up your work-from-home wardrobe and transition into happy hour without missing a beat, or when you want to refresh your wardrobe (and your winter cocktail) on the weekend, I don’t think you can go wrong with one of the best men’s cardigans, for starters. It’s a classic and rugged move, and it’s made all the more comfortable thanks to one of the best men’s T-shirts around, a nice change of pace from a typical Oxford shirt.
The casual and comfortable at-home vibes get even better, though. That’s because the Western Rise Spectrum Joggers toe the line between chinos and sweatpants with ease, and they wear quite nicely alongside the GREATS Foster Slippers for the perfect balance of “at-home” or “quick store trip” style. You can’t skimp on your accessories even on casual days, so the Timex M79 is a reliable timepiece to throw on, while our friends at Huckberry come through with one of the best men’s winter hats for chilly, snowy days. Last but not least, a relaxed outfit calls for a relaxing pour of whiskey, so what better way to serve it than out of the incredibly unique Infused Skull Globe Decanter Set, right? Oh, and if I had my way, I know what you’ll be sipping on: Some winter whiskey from Woodford Reserve, naturally. That’s all I’ve got for today. Happy shopping and happy weekend hangs, folks!