Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
As we kick off another Friday, I’m once again looking back on this week and heading to my home state of Michigan, as I was earlier this month for a summer wedding — that’s a lot of quality time (much-needed) back in the Mitten. And it caps off a busy week, particularly when I look back at the stellar time I had rocking out — and rocking some great menswear at NYC’s Panorama festival. On that note, is anyone heading to Lollapalooza this weekend? Or already there? Jealous! Either way, I hope you’ve been getting all your summer tunes and travel in — and dressing to travel in style, too. The summer’s definitely flying by, but it seems as good a time as any to look back. It’s taken me upstate to see Lucius, it’s taken me on a stylish Memorial Day trip, and it’s taken me around New York City for some excellent product launches and blogger events in between — all while striking that tricky balance between versatile style and ease of movement, not an easy task in the heat of NYC. That busy schedule also leaves a lot of menswear news to catch up on — and I’ve picked out a few favorite pieces from this week below. After you’re done reading, follow along with my adventures back in Michigan via Instagram or Twitter, and check back here tomorrow for our Style Pick of the Week — rest assured, a full trip recap is coming along Monday.
- Who dressed well this week? What lessons should you take from ’em? Those are precisely the questions Esquire answered as part of its summer-friendly Best-Dressed Men of the Week feature.
Lest you think that fashion is only for us average Joes, Starbucks is setting new dress code regulations for employees — that includes neutral colors, denim that’s not overly dressed and a recommendation toward small, subtle patterns in shirts …. those sound like some decent #menswear missives to follow, right?
- Here’s one for all you spirits fans out there — I had the pleasure of attending a delicious celebration of this past Sunday courtesy of the fine folks at Patron, who dubbed it International Tequila Day. Since it is Friday and all, if you fancy stirring up some delicious drinks for yourself, check out some delicious tequila recipes from my buddy Sam over at The Manual.
- And on the menswear front, you can never have enough stylish, durable socks — right? The team at American Trench knows this very well (and if you read The Style Guide, so do you!). It’s fitting that the brand just launched the latest addition to its line of well-made socks — the Mil-Spec Sport Sock is made with anti-microbial silver filament yarn in the heel, toe and sole. In layman’s terms, that means these socks kill bacteria and help keep your feet dry while feeling super-comfortable (and looking super-stylish). Look for more on those socks this fall on The Style Guide (wink, wink).
Want one more story to read? Here are two.
- Yours truly appreciates a lot more than just fine menswear and craft beer — I also love me a great steak or burger, so I pulled together your top summer grilling essentials over at The Manual.
- Just as I dig a great craft beer or some awesome live tunes, I also dig a well-made chambray shirt (and often combine all three at the same time). My latest GearMoose post covers the best chambray shirts for men — and you should buy one, or several, ASAP.