Does the phrase “chilly summer night” strike fear into your heart? Does that phrase seem more apt to describe early fall than late summer? Well, that might be the case … but think of this #OOTD as a primer to transition from one season into the next. And in this case, the rugged overshirt in question is one that’s uniquely versatile & easily wearable after the sun goes down, no need to worry about overheating. In fact, the Flint and Tinder Bedford Camp Shirt is simply darn handy to keep around no matter the off-duty occasion, from hosting a backyard BBQ to pitching a tent under the stars — would you expect anything less from Flint and Tinder, after all? And I think you’ll find the way it’s being worn is similarly versatile and unique without going over the top (it’s still a bit warm out there, after all). So, it’s not a full-on flannel shirt, but neither is the Flint and Tinder Bedford Camp Shirt a breezy linen shirt. In fact, this ensemble is really ready for going off-trail, and yet at the same time, you can wear these gear picks out for a crisp end-of-summer cocktail if need be. It’s all just right when it comes to layering up. How would you wear the Flint and Tinder Bedford Camp Shirt? Check out the full rundown of style essentials for late summer below, then let’s hit the road.
- The Overshirt: Flint and Tinder Bedford Camp Shirt, $168 — Part overshirt, part versatile outdoor jacket, all style — soft-washed Bedford cotton and a pleasingly unique Hickory color make this rugged overshirt a must-have for late summer.
- The Classic Tee: Taylor Stitch Heavy Bag Tee, $45 — Plain and simple, Taylor Stitch will never let you down — and neither will the sustainable, rugged Taylor Stitch Heavy Bag Tee, a perfect solo layer during the day — and equally perfect at sunset.
- The Denim: Flint and Tinder Defender Denim, $138 — Rugged dark blue denim also, similarly, never fails — especially when worn in pursuit of your favorite craft beer or more firewood, right? The Flint and Tinder Defender Denim just work.
- The Rugged Boots: Red Wing Heritage 6-Inch Classic Moc Boots, $290 — Make no mistake, we’ve talked about these Red Wing Heritage boots on the blog before — time to break ’em back out of the closet. The perfect combo of durability & style.
- The Watch: Lum-Tec M84 Automatic Watch, $1,095 — Before you balk at the price of this rugged leather watch, just know that it’s an everyday watch you can wear starting now … and heck, through next winter. Lum-Tec gets it right.
- The Socks: Orvis Invincible Extra Cotton Socks, $49 (Three-pack) — Want exceedingly comfortable socks that can stand up to anything provide a heck of a lot of cushioning in the process? These Orvis socks do just that.
- The Hat: Stetson Chapman Hat, $155 — To be sure, a classic Stetson hat undoubtedly isn’t for everyone … but given that this outfit screams “rugged outdoor adventure” (or heck, “whiskey distillery visit,”), it just works.
- The Tough Everyday Bag: Filson Duffel Backpack, $245 — Does this exceptional Filson Duffel Backpack qualify as an “everyday bag,” per se? Maybe? It depends on where you take it — and for all of summer’s last adventures, it certainly fits the bill.
The thing about the end of summer is that when you gear up with the proper pieces, it can actually be enjoyable to start making the transition between seasons — take the Flint and Tinder Bedford Camp Shirt, for instance. It’s a soft-washed camp shirt that’s ideal for just that: Outdoor camping and hiking, plus day trips and brewery visits aplenty. You’re also getting a dash of versatile summer style with the Taylor Stitch Heavy Bag Tee, easy to wear during the day, and then fit to throw on the Flint and Tinder Bedford Camp Shirt atop when the sun dips down. Rugged dark blue denim also acts as a fine go-between from day to night, and this particular pair will get better the more you wear them (and trust me). Take it all in stride with a pair of trusty Red Wing Heritage boots, another menswear essential that goes from the trail to the town with ease. Of course, this #OOTD would be nothing without a rugged leather watch from Lum-Tec — this thing can take a beating, and then some. We’re topping it all off with a classic Stetson hat to keep the sun off your face while giving this ensemble some rugged appeal. And to haul whatever it is you happen to need on the everyday carry front? Load up the Filson Duffel Backpack. If you put all of these components together, you’re going to be more than ready to close out summer & head toward fall.